PDA

View Full Version : Fall Leaves

Cheryl Slechta
10-19-2011, 05:58 PM
These were some crepe myrtle leaves on the stone walkway leading to my house. I used PB OP, then Nik Indian Summer, Frac. Rounded then USM for a slight sharpening and finally a boost in saturation. The blue spots are "hand of man" chips of tile that I used as a mosaic when I built the walkway. It has a Van Gogh-ish look to me.
Thanks for looking. Comments and suggestions appreciated.:S3:

John Storjohann
10-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Dang...wish the leaves in my driveway looked that nice...I'd just leave them there for the winter! :w3 I like the composition...it's hard to find a strong composition in a "jumbled" environment, and you did a good job seeing this...I may have been tempted bring back just a hint more detail from the original...I really like the warm earth tones of the leaves and might have darkened the cooler blue tones just a smidge, but that's a matter of personal preference; I'm just wondering if it would have given a bit more depth to the image. Nicely seen Cheryl...hope to see more from you soon!

Brendan Dozier
10-19-2011, 09:25 PM
The earthy autumn colors and random patterns to this look very nice, Cheryl. I like the combination of filters, but my eyes are wanting it to be either a little more blurred and swirled, or have a bit more detail and definition.

Indranil Sircar
10-20-2011, 01:14 AM
Lovely composition, Cheryl. PB oil in combination with other filters have worked nicely giving flowing feeling... excellent work:S3:

denise ippolito
10-20-2011, 06:49 AM
Cheryl, I like the amount of filtering you applied and I don't think I would bring back any more detail. I think it does look a bit Van Gogh-ish. The colors and pattern of the leaves have interest. If I were going to print this I might evict the dark and light spot top right corner and the line at the bottom which I'm sure is natural to the scene. I love it and think you should print it. :S3:

Andrew McLachlan
10-20-2011, 05:13 PM
Hi Cheryl, love the look of this one. Very nice filtering and placement of the leaves throughout the frame. Beautiful work!

Cheryl Slechta
10-20-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks, everyone. John and Brendan, I'll work on another image this weekend with your suggestions and see how it turns out.:S3:

Kerry Perkins
10-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Hi Cheryl, I like the leaves and the bits of blue - they work nicely together. I can see the VVG influence in your processing, lots of nice swirls and broad brush strokes. I would be a little more aggressive with the sharpening, which will accentuate the edges by making them a little blacker. I tried this in PS CS5 with settings of 150|0.3|0 and it gave the image more punch. Nice job.

Paul Lagasi
10-21-2011, 10:50 PM
I think its a very OOTB image, almost looks like leaves on water, I like it the way it is.....very well done

Bob Miller
10-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Cheryl....This is a lovely image! Vincent would be proud of you!