PDA

View Full Version : Crimson Breasted Shrike

Ken Watkins
10-18-2011, 11:13 PM
I have tried for years to get a reasonable image of this bird they are generally seen inside the bush or in deep shade under bushes and flit around non-stop.

This bird was kind enough to present itself quite late in the afternoon outside our tent at Kalahari Tented Camp, Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, South Africa, 20th June 2011.

EOS 1D MkIV

500mm F4 IS hand held , kneeling down

F5.6, ISO800, 1/200, EV +0.33

Full Frame

Ron Sprunger
10-18-2011, 11:29 PM
That is one brilliant bird! You did a fabulous job keeping detail in the white, black, and especially the red. Seems extremely saturated/high contrast to me, but not having seen the bird I'll assume that's how he presents. BG is a little close and nervous, but you nailed the bird. Congratulations.

MohsenVahedipour
10-19-2011, 03:21 AM
Very lovely bird, Excellent sharpness & great colors. agree about above comment. The difference of saturation & contrast between bird & BG make it somewhat unnatural.

Joe Senzatimore
10-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Nice photo of the bird. A bit tight in the frame. The BG is not the best , but still no reason not to post such a beautiful subject.

Stu Bowie
10-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Ken, yes, these guys are always hiding in shrubbery. I feel this is too large/tight in the frame, but you have exposed the blacks nicely. Without checking, the reds look quite hot, especially under the chin. Love the attentive pose.

Mital Patel
10-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Ken,

Excellent birdie and superb exposure on black and red both. Wish for better place but thats what you really cant help on with wild so i would be happy .. bit tight if you crop it to hide the busy environment i would sure add it and use this as habitat shot.

Bob Dromgoole
10-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Very nice. Glad you finally got a decent shot! What a dramatic looking bird.
We have a red/black/white bird here, the Yellow Billed Cardinal. I know how tricky they are to expose properly.
The red does look a bit 'hot' for some reason.

Arthur Morris
10-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Killer beautiful bird. Way too big in the frame for me. Blacks could be opened up nicely I believe.....

Ken Watkins
10-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Thanks everybody for your kind comments and suggestions.

I entirely agree it is too big in the frame prior to this shot it was much further way, by the time I turnd round to pick up, my MkIII with 70-200mm it was gone, but that is part of the fun of photography.

Regarding the "red" it is a remarkably strong red and I have to admit that I toned it down a little, to make it look more believable.