PDA

View Full Version : Emergency field repair of 7D LCD screen

Elliotte Rusty Harold
10-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Today, on the third day of my twelve day trip to Panama, my Black Rapid RS-4 Strap with FastenR-3 disconnected from my Canon 70-200 tripod collar while taking it out of the van. The 7D, lens, and 2X III crashed on the pavement, breaking the camera body case and plastic on the LCD screen. This is actually the third time this has happened, though the first two times there was no damage to camera or lens. Frankly it was stupid of me to keep trusting this strap after those events. The camera appears to be functional, though I'm not sure how much I can or should use it until I can get it repaired, and I don't know what that will cost.

Any suggestions for immediate repair or use? I brought spare pretty much everything except a spare body. Too late for that now, and this is primarily a birding trip, not a photography trip so the trip is not ruined sans camera. (I.e. I still have binoculars, scope, and a point & shoot). However I would like to know ASAP:

1. Am I going to make things worse if I attempt to use the camera with the cracked screen? The LCD still functions; just the plastic over it (and some of the body) is cracked.
2. Is there any field repair that can be done using supplies I can easily find or have shipped to Panama? E.g would it help to tape over the screen with scotch tape or is that the worst possible thing I can do?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Steve Uffman
10-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Sounds tough Elliotte. Wish I could offer advice on the options. I have had my 7d act up on a recent trip to Alaska and had to ship it to the factory but not with a cracked screen. I know I have read here where folks have used their camera with a cracked LCD screen...maybe one of them will weigh in

when you have time would love your feedback on the Black Rapid Straps and fastener...I just ordered two but a different model...now a bit nervous