PDA

View Full Version : Need ID

Paul Lagasi
10-17-2011, 07:18 PM
Hello

I have been trying to ID this DF for a while but just can't seem to pinpoing it....I think its a meadowhawk. Its pretty beaten up from the looks of the wings.
Taken in Eastern Canada. Thanks

D70
105mm
f/5
1/400
iso-640
handheld

Michael Lloyd
10-17-2011, 08:32 PM
I use BugGuide.Net (http://bugguide.net) for bug id. The people on BugGuide are phenomenal. They usually tell me a lot more than I ever wanted to know.

Dan Brown
10-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Hi Paul. This might be a Striped Meadowhawk. They are pretty widespread in CA, but I don't know about your area. It's a place to start looking:Whoa!:

Brendan Dozier
10-18-2011, 03:11 AM
Don't have ID, but kind of like the soft feel to this comp, Paul. Nice colors, wonder if blurring BG some would help put more focus on DF.

Steve Maxson
10-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Hi Paul. Michael makes a good suggestion about BugGuide.net. The yellow legs and the downward-pointing spike near the end of the abdomen suggest that this might be an Autumn Meadowhawk (Sympetrum vicinum).

Andrew McLachlan
10-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Hi Paul, my dragonfly guide indicates this as being a Yellow-legged Meadowhawk which is widespread up here. The Yellow-legged Meadowhawk looks like an alternate name for the Autumn Meadowhawk that Steve suggests as they have the same latin name.

Paul Lagasi
10-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Thanks to All for comments....:bg3:

Yes, Michael...I do use Bugguide, but have never uploaded my images for ID'ing, love the site, use it often.

Hard to believe the weathered warrior above is the same as this Autumn Meadowhawk, Thanks again

Michael Lloyd
10-18-2011, 08:58 PM
You have more patience than I do. I usually upload and ask rather than wade through their very extensive collection. It's amazing how fast they respond. On the other hand, when I upload, I tend to upload very small "bugs" that I find with an MP E 65mm at 4x and I wouldn't know where to begin with those.

Ken Childs
10-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Hard to believe the weathered warrior above is the same as this Autumn Meadowhawk, Thanks again

I agree with the Autumn Meadowhawk ID but I think the bug in your OP is a colorful female, not a worn out male. :S3:

Paul Lagasi
10-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Thanks Everyone for the comments....appreciate it