PDA

View Full Version : a feeding beetle (beetle?)

Valerio Tarone
10-17-2011, 04:13 PM
intersting behavour of an insect. i don't know ,I wonder whether is it a beetle and what kind. Last may in Donana nat. park (Spain), wandering from a hide to hide.
zoom 17-35 mm with a 12mm extension tube. f10 1/200 ev -1 wb auto. tripod . I think to crop off the fg OOF.
Critiques welcomes.

Paul Lagasi
10-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Interesting image, well captured, I might be inclined to crop a bit from the top and bottom but thats just me...TFS

Brendan Dozier
10-18-2011, 03:13 AM
I like the super low angle on this, Valerio, and nice behavior capture. Like texture to wood, think Paul has good suggestion to crop some from top, and maybe a tighter crop all the way around so we can see beetle closer up.

Steve Maxson
10-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Hi Valerio. From what I can see of it this looks like a beetle. I don't think I've seen one before with such distinct ridges on its back. Good sharpness and I, too, like the low shooting angle. I would agree about tightening up the crop to make the beetle larger in the frame and I would move it away from dead center to improve the comp. :S3:

Ken Childs
10-19-2011, 01:16 PM
I really like the low POV of this shot....it makes the viewer feel like they are down in the beetle's home territory. I agree with the others that this should be cropped in much tighter...maybe as a vertical with the beetle close to the UL ROT position. If you can lighten the beetle a bit and darken the wood a bit, I think this could look even better.

Some fill flash when taking this shot might have helped even out the lighting....it's always worth a try when you're dealing with harsh light.

Julie Kenward
10-21-2011, 07:06 AM
Steve nailed it for me - get him more to the bottom corner in a ROT's position and lose all that extra space and you'll have a really great photograph here!

Valerio Tarone
10-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks to all. What does it mean ROT? Where find a list of the initials? but I imagine it means Rotation. So, I can be some as this allegated..or not?

Ken Childs
10-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Valerio, ROT stands for "Rule of Thirds".

Here's a link to BPN's list of acronyms.
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/12681-Acronym-List?highlight=acronym

Valerio Tarone
10-22-2011, 02:37 AM
Hi Ken Yes to pose in UL strenght the ROT,OK It means crop on both the sides.I'll try. Thank you.