PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette in using the new 'thank you' buttons?

Hilary Hann
10-17-2011, 04:18 AM
The little thank you buttons which appear after each post seemed to make an unheralded appearance and I'm not sure when is best to use them.

For example, if I have thanked people in a post for commenting on my photograph, should I also press the little thank you button as well? If I don't, will people think I am being rude even though I have written a thank you reply. I have used them in the 'showcase' forum as you can't post replies so it is the only way to say that you appreciate an image that was posted.

How are other people using them? A blanket press of the button on all replies on your thread? A press of the button if you particularly think someone has spent quite a bit of time on their reply? A press of the button on everyone who posts an image you really like?

Is there another purpose for them which I haven't figured out?

Just wondered what other people think. And if I have offended someone by not pressing the thank you notification button I sincerely apologise. :e3

Daniel Cadieux
10-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Hi Hilary

The little thank you buttons which appear after each post seemed to make an unheralded appearance and I'm not sure when is best to use them.

For example, if I have thanked people in a post for commenting on my photograph, should I also press the little thank you button as well?

If you are replying simply to thank them, then I would use that button rather than typing it out each time.

If I don't, will people think I am being rude even though I have written a thank you reply.

No.

I have used them in the 'showcase' forum as you can't post replies so it is the only way to say that you appreciate an image that was posted.

Excellent idea!

How are other people using them? A blanket press of the button on all replies on your thread?

Not necessary to do so for every post IMO, that would become redundant.

A press of the button if you particularly think someone has spent quite a bit of time on their reply?

That is a good (and intended) use for it. Also great for posts offering helpful hints, reposts, suggested improvements, etc...

A press of the button on everyone who posts an image you really like?

I would avoid that (except for the showcase forum)...critiques and helpful comments the way to go.

Is there another purpose for them which I haven't figured out?

Not really...

Just wondered what other people think. And if I have offended someone by not pressing the thank you notification button I sincerely apologise. :e3

It's there for using, but not something you have to use. No need to apologise...I would be surprised if anyone was offended by you not pressing the thank you button.

Oh, and thank you for asking the question!:S3:

Jim Poor
10-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Glad you asked, as I've been away for a while and wondered about them myself.