PDA

View Full Version : Fall Color at Brook's Falls

Andrew McLachlan
10-16-2011, 07:08 PM
This little known waterfall on the Magnetawan River north of Huntsville, Ontario is one of my favorites as there are no hand-of-man elements to spoil the view. I am always disappointed that viewing platforms and the like are always getting in the way. This was shot on a drizzly morning and is a 5 frame HDR processed in Oloneo Photo Engine. I decided to give the HDR a try on this one mostly for the white water and black rocks with deep dark shadows.

Nikon D200
Nikon 12-24mm lens @ 13mm
ISO 100
Nikon Polarizing filter
mirror-lock

Look forward to comments.

Robert Amoruso
10-17-2011, 07:24 AM
Andrew,

I like the detail in the shadows - it all looks very natural. Composition is well planned. I am wondering if I would have preferred to see more in the FG as the rocks are attractive and I feel I would have preferred to not have the water flow in the right center bottom going out of frame there. But perhaps the rock shapes would not have allowed that. In any event a minor thing - overall a very pleasing image.

Steve Kaluski
10-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Hi Andrew, I really like this, love the 'fall' colours with the satin/dry ice look over the rocks, something I have always wanted to try. Not someone who could offer to much on critique here, but I would perhaps try a sliver off the foot, say about 1/2 inch as to me, it offers a cleaner finish???

Would be interested to know the SS on this one Andrew, although each image is different, likewise content & light, but would perhaps be a starting point? :bg3:

TFS
Steve

Andrew Aveley
10-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Great technical skill in composing this HDR ! Awesome colours and texture!

Andrew McLachlan
10-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks guys for the comments, much appreciated. On this day I shot many various comps that I will post in the days to come. Some have a cleaner bottom edge and some have more of the foreground rocks, however I did not shoot them all as HDR and I wish I had.

Steve, when I checked up on the shutter speeds I realized that this was a 4 image HDR and not a 5 image one. The shutter speeds were as follows: 3, 6, 10 & 20 seconds (or -1, 0, +1, +2).

Steve Kaluski
10-17-2011, 11:56 PM
Cheers Andrew. :cheers: