PDA

View Full Version : Great Blue in the Flow #2

Andrew McLachlan
10-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Another frame in the sequence of the Great Blue Heron I encountered hunting at the base of Stubb's Falls in Ontario's Arrowhead Provincial Park. Perhaps a little better angle on the bird...does the head work better in this take or is the merge still troublesome?

Look forward to comments.

Nikon D200
Nikon 80-400mm VR lens @ 220mm (VR off)
ISO 100
f20 @ 1/5 sec.
mirror-lock

Grace Scalzo
10-16-2011, 07:54 PM
Andrew, Great idea with slowing down the water, I really love it. i feel a SLIGHT trim from the top helps my eye focus on the heron and then maybe a slight trim off the right (as viewed). I do see quite a strong magenta cast. Eye and bill look unnaturally saturated. He's fishing, so I'm totally fine with the head angle. A few little tweaks, and I think you'll have a strong and interesting image here.

Karl Egressy
10-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Great setting for the GBHE. Love the slowed down water and love the composition, Andrew.
It has a very pronounced magenta cast and even a slight red cast.
I might have picked it up during PP.
Easily correctable if you wish to do so.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-16-2011, 08:47 PM
I love this image and think I saw your other post on another forum? I love it. I love that you blurrd the water yet the rest is super crisp. I really like this image alot.:cheers:

Mike Milicia
10-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Very cool! Great idea to go for the blurred water!
Agree with Grace on head angle and cast.

I think you maximized the situation you had but I keep thinking it's too bad you couldn't get just blurred water and rocks without the standing water at the top.

Randy Stout
10-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Andrew:

Color casts mentioned, but the heron in the moving water works well, nice job on the SS choice here, and thanks to a very still bird!

I like the bill being against the moving water and not the rock, does help it stand out nicely.

Cheers

Randy

Robert Holguin
10-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Real nice image. Love the slowing down of the water. Great pose too.
Well done.

Andrew McLachlan
10-17-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks all for the comments and for pointing out the color cast. I have trouble with those sometimes. Much appreciated!

Ron Bernstein
10-18-2011, 06:12 AM
Great shot, Andrew. Love the comp and slowed water. My attention on the bird and water are rediverted to the gold in the rocks very close to his head, particularly that circular pattern. I would tone those down to see if that doesn't help hold interest in the bird and water. Thanks!