PDA

View Full Version : Polar bear cub Play time

Sid Garige
10-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Canon 7D 500mm F4
ISO 800 F5.6 1/640

Hilary Hann
10-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Too good. Love the interaction and the diagonal line of the rope leading to the polar bear's face. Nicely composed.

What is the rope from?

Sid Garige
10-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Too good. Love the interaction and the diagonal line of the rope leading to the polar bear's face. Nicely composed.

What is the rope from?

Thanks Hillary.
I guess some thing washed over on the beach. They find all kinds of stuff. I saw them playing with oil booms, plastic bottles, soda cans etc...

Harshad Barve
10-16-2011, 07:51 PM
I can't wait for book to come out :cheers:
TFS

dankearl
10-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Another terrific photo Sid, you are killing us.
Your exposure on these is really nice, it has to be kind of difficult in the "white" conditions.
The bears really pop, very impressive.

Sid Garige
10-16-2011, 10:32 PM
Your exposure on these is really nice, it has to be kind of difficult in the "white" conditions.

Thanks Dan.
A trick I learned from Chas.
Spot meter off the snow +2 for canon and +1 for Nikon. Always worked.

-sid

Ken Watkins
10-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Sid,

As an image I like it, but as a human I find it somewhat disturbing.

The fact that there is human waste in what should be pristine wilderness everywhere is actually horrible, it was the same in Svalbard

Cheers

Ken

Charles Glatzer
10-17-2011, 12:59 AM
Hey Sid,

Another beauty my friend. I am off for 3 weeks with P bears as of the 21st.

Metering made simple :S3:, thanks for the mention.
Whenever I hear someone say great job on the difficult whtes.... I know they do not comprehend how it all works.

See you again,

Chas

Sabyasachi Patra
10-17-2011, 02:31 AM
Nice image Sid!

I echo Ken's sentiments. Sad to see that our wastes are everywhere. In earlier days, we used to drink water from the streams after filtering it through a handkerchief. These days, I find all kinds of plastics, clothes, undergarments, bottles and other unmentionables in the streams. If we pollute our water sources, don't know what will be our future.

I too find the polar bear images of Chas very nice as well as his control over exposure. I remember last year (?) there were some good polar bear images from Ken and Steve Kaluski as well.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Ofer Levy
10-17-2011, 06:55 AM
Terrific image!!!:cheers:

Marina Scarr
10-17-2011, 07:01 AM
This photo is so amazing, Sid. When I look at this cub, it's as though it is real right in front of me. This is a cover all day long, and I expect to see it in the environmental issues in the next NB.

Tom Redd
10-17-2011, 08:41 AM
Sid, maybe this guy is practicing good dental hygiene, I believe he is flossing. :S3: On a serious note, it is sad that there is too much debris washing up on all our shores. This image has wonderful detail and eye contact. Excellent as always!

Don Lacy
10-17-2011, 09:38 AM
Another terrific image Sid your productivity from this trip is amazing.

Andrew Merwin
10-17-2011, 09:44 AM
Great image. I like it a lot. I like the snow on the cub's fur, the raised paw, the bit of snow in the rope loop—truly wonderful.

Stu Bowie
10-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Excellent exposure through out the image Sid, and love the overall detail on the polar bear. Comp works well too.

Morkel Erasmus
10-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Super angle and details here...sad that it's playing with a man-made object, but I can see this doing well in a "hand-of-man" or "influence-of-man" category in a big competition :S3:

Mark Wiseman
10-18-2011, 01:54 AM
Hi Sid,
I like the low POV, the detail and the composition. The rope!!! is BAD!!!!!! and is an indictment on our society that we live in. Mankind is getting so far removed from his roots and that will no doubt lead to his downfall. A very evocative image and hence outstanding.
Well done again Sid and thanks for sharing with us.
:5:bg3::bg3::bg3::5

Rachel Hollander
10-18-2011, 07:40 AM
Sid - great detail, eye contact and pov. Love the slight lean and the raised paw. Too bad about the rope but it does add interest to the image. :eek3: I'm really enjoying this year's series of polar bear images.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Uffman
10-19-2011, 06:12 PM
another great shot....Look forward to all your wonderful images each time i visit this site.

"spot metering off the snow plus 2 for Canon".....The process is etched in my brain now......Just finished my first STL workshop with Chas.......great teacher and he made it simple........your work inspires me to use the techniques which you clearly are executing well.....Now I need to go find some snow and white bears....wherever did you say you found them?