PDA

View Full Version : Gillespies Beach #2, South Island, New Zealand - Visited By Pluto

Jay Gould
10-16-2011, 04:54 PM
When I saw this driftwood I knew I had to find the angle and wait for the right conditions. I wanted the light sky at the "mouth". I also have a silhouette version (will be posted after C&Cs); WE (SWMBO and Me preferred seeing the wood details).

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 5/05/11; 3pm
Light condition: Stormy setting sun
Lens: 24-105
Focal length: 58
Distance:
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp: no
ISO: 50
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 1.3 sec
Aperture: f/16
Exp Comp: -1
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One shot
Tripod: yes
Filter: GNDs and RGNDs
Crop: minimal
Images Changes: stuff I didn't like removed!

Processed in LR3, CS5, Pixel Genius Sharpening, Tony Kuyper Actions, NIK stuff too.

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Andrew McLachlan
10-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Hi Jay, that's a cool looking junk of driftwood. The brightest areas of the sky look a little blown out here. Love the detail in the pebble beach. Not sure how heavy those other junks of driftwood were, but I might have moved them out of the way, but that's just me.

Andrew McLachlan
10-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Forgot too mention that I look forward to the silhouette!:S3:

Robert Amoruso
10-17-2011, 07:15 AM
Jay,

I would go with either more detail in the wood or complete silhouette. I also thinking you needed more sharpening so I download and tried out my recommendations - reposted here. Used PS S/H for shadows (also toned down highlights some with it).

COmpositionally, I would have tried not to have the top of the truck coincident with the horizon line. On the right edge including the full driftwood trunk would be preferable or cutting in more such that it does not looked clp at an edge.

Rachel Hollander
10-18-2011, 08:24 AM
Jay - good comments and suggestions by Andrew and Robert. Looking forward to additional posts including the silhouette.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
10-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Love the insane colours here mate! Nice-looking beach. Robert's repost look good, though due to personal tastes I would have backed down on shadow recovery just a tad. I also agree on his compositional critique...:S3:

Jay Gould
10-26-2011, 05:02 AM
Here is a completely redone presentation - couldn't move on to the next one until I was happy with this one - C&Cs cheerfully welcomed.