PDA

View Full Version : Galapagos Landscape

James Fuller
10-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Punta Pitt, San Cristobal Island, Galapagos, Ecuador.

Comments greatly appreciated.

Taken with 1DIV, 17mm, 1/250 @ f8, ISO 500.

Jerry van Dijk
10-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Hi James, wonderful scene with nice combination of red and green. The colors look a bit on the saturated side for my liking. The image seems a bit soft (or at least the FG bush). I find it difficult to identify the point of focus. May simply be solved with a little sharpening.

Andrew McLachlan
10-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Hi James, lovely comp! I agree that it may be a touch over saturated. I would have shot this one at f16 for some additional DOF, but I think you can sharpen the distant rock with some selective sharpening or even apply some of Nik's 'tonal contrast' to it. Beautiful scene!

James Fuller
10-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Thanks for your suggestions Jerry and Andrew.

Still trying to get a hold of taking and processing landscape images. I backed off on the saturation 6 points...to saturation as shot and sharpened the whole image a bit more, as well as sharping the back mountain range as suggested.

Jay Gould
10-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Agree with all comments; the anchor bush in the LRHS isn't sharp enough. Also it needs a smidge of CW - just a smidge!

Jeff Parker
10-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Hi James. A well seen scene here. Lovely colors on that red plant. I like the composition, but something about the image is not quite there for me. I think it's just that the light is a bit harsh.

Robert Amoruso
10-17-2011, 07:20 AM
James,

Tame the high contrast with a reverse s-curve. I tried that and some sharpening and the image looked better.

At f/8 and depending upon where you focused, the near limit of acceptable sharpness could have been by the bush.

Good resource of investigating the DOF of you lens/camera combination is http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html.

Jason Hurst
10-17-2011, 10:39 AM
I actually like the saturation. It's nice to see an image from the 1D Mk IV that IS Bright, Brilliant, COLORFUL, etc. One that "POPS", instead of being dull, flat, almost colorless, that the majority of 1D Mk IV images I've seen seem to be.

The world...esp the NATURAL world IS full of BRIGHT, BRILLIANT, BEAUTIFUL, eye popping COLORS, bring them out! That's why nature photographers loved Velvia so much...it enhanced those colors, and let the world see the beauty, and brilliance in Mother Nature, in all her glorious abundance!

Enough of this weak, gentle, "relaxing", "soft" color image, wussy, mamby pamby way of thinking...BRING ON THE COLORS BABY!!

BOLD AND BEAUTIFUL!!!

Jay Gould
10-17-2011, 04:07 PM
The world...esp the NATURAL world IS full of BRIGHT, BRILLIANT, BEAUTIFUL, eye popping COLORS, bring them out! That's why nature photographers loved Velvia so much...it enhanced those colors, and let the world see the beauty, and brilliance in Mother Nature, in all her glorious abundance!

Enough of this weak, gentle, "relaxing", "soft" color image, wussy, mamby pamby way of thinking...BRING ON THE COLORS BABY!!

Jason, I can think of so many images - can't I guys!! - to which I would apply your comment that I have added it to my signature; I couldn't have said it better! :5

Saturation Rocks!!

Mate, with your attitude, it is time for you to become a Member!!

Jason Hurst
10-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Jason, I can think of so many images - can't I guys!! - to which I would apply your comment that I have added it to my signature; I couldn't have said it better! :5

Saturation Rocks!!

Mate, with your attitude, it is time for you to become a Member!!

Whoa, I am deeply honored, and humbled, Jay.

I am looking forward to becoming a member as soon as I can afford to. (Money is extremely tight right now for me.)

Of course saving up for a 1D/1Ds/1DX series camera doesn't help. :tinysmile_shy_t:

James Fuller
10-17-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks for commenting Jeff, I agree that the light is a little harsh, not my favorite but I knew I could get some good & honest feedback here!

Thanks Robert, I'll try a reverse S curve and more sharpening...I should have used a tripod. Thanks for the DOF link, interesting information there!

LOL Jason, glad you liked the colors...The red carpet weed along the coastline was a beautiful sight to see!

Morkel Erasmus
10-18-2011, 01:27 PM

Great sentiment, Jason.

I too like the colours here, James. I did a quick work on your original post...
Multiplied highlights layer, 30% opacity (see Robert's sticky thread)
Pushed master saturation up by 10 points but dropped yellow and red by 16 after that.
Burned midtones and highlights on the FG bush.
Selective dodging and burning across the rest of the FG.
I also added some sharpening to the FG bush.

What do you think?

Jason Hurst
10-18-2011, 01:57 PM
WOW that looks AWESOME, Morkel! I LOVE it!

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

James Fuller
10-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Great sentiment, Jason.

I too like the colours here, James. I did a quick work on your original post...
Multiplied highlights layer, 30% opacity (see Robert's sticky thread)
Pushed master saturation up by 10 points but dropped yellow and red by 16 after that.
Burned midtones and highlights on the FG bush.
Selective dodging and burning across the rest of the FG.
I also added some sharpening to the FG bush.

What do you think?

Thanks Morkel, it looks great!

Morkel Erasmus
10-24-2011, 01:18 AM
Pleasure :t3