PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly lens and monopod issues

Randy Stout
04-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Good evening all:

Had the day off, so went to Fred Meijers Gardens in Grand Rapids, where they have the largest temporary butterfuly display in the US. These are tropical butterflies from around the world. Usually very crowded (butterflies and people) but so many butterflies that there are lots of opportunities.

I would be curious what peoples favorite lenses would be for this. Working distance from 8 inches to 10 feet or so. Lots of natural light but many shadows, and so many people, that it is very hard to change your position easily. So, flash is essential. I used a SB-800 with the standard diffuser. Tried a Gary Fong lighsphere, but not enough light output in that cavernous space, with almost no reflective surfaces.

One rub is that they won't allow tripods or monopods. In can understand tripods, but not the monopods really. I was knocked over by strollers and wheelchairs as I knelt to take pictures, and can't imagine a monopod would wreak equal havoc. Laura, my wife who was shooting with me, thought perhaps they were trying to control the quality of images you could obtain. They had the warning that no images that were taken could be sold!

So, I would appreciate any lens thoughts, and coments on the monopod issue. I thought about a chest or belt pod, but suspect they might object to that as well, esp. if they want to keep the pros out. I thought about taking a cane with a screw in the top for the camera, but felt they might not find that funny!

Cheers

Randy

Alfred Forns
04-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Randy I think your best bet is a 300 f4.0 Works great for Bflies !!! Can use a 1.4X and if you are using a crop factor camera you got some serious magnification !!!

Don't be so quick to use the flash If you use it as main the bg will be all dark I have done well at my local butterfly place without it !!!

Steve Wheeler
04-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Couldn't you use a spacer and decrease close focus distance on a long lens too?

I had a similar "Discussion" on monopods with the folks at Dallas World Aquarium. This was AFTER I'd had it inside for a while and went out to the truck for something. I know for a fact the gal I was talking too didn't have a CLUE what the difference was between a tripod and a mono pod. Meanwhile I too was getting bumped and bashed by every baby carriage in the place (I have nothing against babies or carrages... Just made no sense). Rightly or wrongly I collapsed the mono, strapped it to my belt pack and took it in anyway. Not ONE of the employees inside said a single word and I was there for hours.

Steve

Alfred Forns
04-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Glad you got to use it At Butterfly World I was unable They feel it is professional tool They have signs all over the place professionals are not allowed

Yes you could use a extension tube with the lens but for bflies won't be needing it !!!

Craig Markham
05-07-2008, 03:24 PM
I have a collapsible walking staff with a rubber tip plus a nice walnut knob at the top. Unscrew the knob, and viola! -- a screw on which to mount the camera.

Roger Williams
05-07-2008, 07:51 PM
You might also consider a Stoney Point Shooting Stick. Originally meant for steadying a rifle while hunting, I find the PoleCat an excellent rest for my 300mmL IS. This little gem folds to 23" and extends to 64". It has a rubber coated "V" top (meant for steadying a rifle but also works well with a lens). Or the V top can be unscrewed, and the stud used for mounting the camera. Available at Gander Mountain or other sporting goods stores. Also makes a nice walking stick. Made in Minnesota which makes it all the better.

roger

Robert O'Toole
05-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Working distance from 8 inches to 10 feet or so. Lots of natural light but many shadows, and so many people, that it is very hard to change your position easily. So, flash is essential. I used a SB-800 with the standard diffuser. Tried a Gary Fong lighsphere, but not enough light output in that cavernous space, with almost no reflective surfaces.

If you are using flash there isnt any reason really to use a camera support. Handholding is much quicker and easier. Remember if you are using a flash at less than full power the effective shutter speed with the flash is over 1/1000th of a sec.

Also I was haved used a GF LS diffuser on 1/8th power or less for years without any problems with "output". Now that I think about it I would use diffuse the GF LS sometimes. 90% of the macro images on my site were made with the GF LS. I now use a single SB-R200 with a diffuser for macro with my D300/Sigma 150mm.

Robert

robert hazelwood
05-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Randy
Luckily I have a permanent butterfly exhibit enclosure in Gainesville Florida, a short distance from where I live.

I have tried several combinations and my most recent works very well for me. I have the new Nikon 18-200mm zoom with VR. It allows for close focusing and the Vibration Reduction has all but eliminated the need for a tripod or monopod. I nevery really had good results with using a monopod as I ended up spending more time trying to get into position and by then the butterfly had flown off.

I question not being able to sell your photos. Have they rubber stanped a logo on the wings of all the butterflys? In a closeup of the butterfly it would be next to impossible for anyone to tell that the photo was taken at their location, or if you paid cash for admission that you were even there.

Bob

Jerry Clement
05-12-2008, 12:56 PM
I have a Canon f4 that I use a with the canon 25mm extension tube that I use on Dragonflies in flight. Works well with a very nice working distance. Works equally well on butterflies of course.
Jerry