PDA

View Full Version : Long-tailed Tit

Simon Wantling
10-16-2011, 05:05 AM
Lots of these around today. Would really appreciate comments. I struggled to clone our the fine cobweb in front of the bird. Shame but I don't think it detracts to much from the bird.

Canon 7D, AV control, f8, 1/640, ISO 400, Canon 100-400mm, 0ev.

http://www.back-garden-moths.co.uk/Images/Longtailedtit.jpg

Randy Stout
10-16-2011, 06:45 AM
Simon:

The name certainly seems appropriate here. I like the scale of the perch, birds angle in frame, exposure. Long tailed birds are always a challenge from a compositional standpoint, as it is harder to place them in the frame with enough lead room in front of the bird, without cutting off that tail!

I might add a sliver more room to the left if you have it. I had to look for a bit to see the cobweb, so no, not a major distraction.

Looks like a bit of clone work showing along the perch, esp. by the birds left foot.

Please be sure to perch at the full 1024 width, it really helps us see and critique the image better.

Cheers

Randy

Xander Sales
10-16-2011, 07:17 AM
It is always hard to make a good composition with this bird. I agree with Randy to get it more room to the left if it's possible!

Simon Wantling
10-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the advice and comments. Unfortunately, I can't free up more room on the left, so will have to learn from that in the future. Your correct with the cloning. A small amount top right and by the left foot. I wasn't to happy with the cloning as firstly I have no experience in that area and also within Aperture it seems a bit limited or it maybe just me. Any advice in that area would be great as one thing I am learning from this forum is to make sure the image is clean and free from unwanted marks. Is PS the way to go?

Thanks

Randy Stout
10-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Simon:

I used Aperture for several years but found it too limited for serious image clean up. Many nice features, but not enough capabilities for my needs.

Randy

Gary Esman
10-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the advice and comments. Unfortunately, I can't free up more room on the left, so will have to learn from that in the future. Your correct with the cloning. A small amount top right and by the left foot. I wasn't to happy with the cloning as firstly I have no experience in that area and also within Aperture it seems a bit limited or it maybe just me. Any advice in that area would be great as one thing I am learning from this forum is to make sure the image is clean and free from unwanted marks. Is PS the way to go?

Thanks

Hey Simon, did a real quick job on the little guy. This was done in PS, took about 3 minutes. it looks as though the focus point was on the leg, and this is 1024 wide. I think it is the way to go.

Gary.