PDA

View Full Version : On the roof

Rene Quenneville
10-15-2011, 07:41 PM
This picture is from last August. Taken on Bonaventure island. The bird was on the roof of the shelter. I wanted to try to incorporate the some of the building in the picture. Please give me your insights about the composition.

1/1000s
f/10
ISO 400
340mm

Josh Clark
10-16-2011, 01:27 AM
Like the portrait shot of the bird. Wish the roof didn't appear at the bottom of the frame as it is slightly distracting. Maybe crop some of it out? Also wish the membrane over the eye wasn't partially covering it. That could be easily touched up in PS though. Good job holding the exposures though. Great detail around the top of the head. Beautiful looking bird.

Gary Esman
10-16-2011, 07:08 AM
Hi Rene, agree with Josh's critique above. I would lose the roof. Gorgeous bird.

Gary.

Karl Egressy
10-16-2011, 08:04 AM
The picture brings back great memories. I know that roof very well. Nice image.

Dan Busby
10-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Hello Rene. Personally I don't like the oof roof line. I think if you wanted to incorporate the building you could go to a lens with small aperture and great depth of field and try to make everything IN focus. I know you can do this at that place - I have many similar photos of that roof. I also think that you could move your position so that the roof line is parallel, rather than slanting. Aside from that, very nice exposure and detail and I agree with the comments about the nictitating membrane.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-16-2011, 02:50 PM
I like the shot of the bird but the bottom line is very distracting for me. If this were mine I would probably lose all the roof and keep it till you have another attempt and follow Dans' suggestion:bg3:

Rene Quenneville
10-19-2011, 06:31 PM
Message well received, I will try to remove the botom portion with the OOF roof. It is clear that it could improve the picture. thank you.