PDA

View Full Version : Bracken Fern Fract

Andrew McLachlan
10-14-2011, 09:28 PM
A backlit section of a Bracken Fern leaf using my same scotch tape and folding lawn chair set-up...wonder if could get a patent on that :S3: Some minor cropping and cloning to clean-up the edges a little.

Look forward to comments.

Kerry Perkins
10-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Andrew, one of my favorite styles - organic yet graphic. Or is it graphic yet organic...? Either way I really like this! The light and colors are super. The effect reminds me of a "sorting table" for large transparencies. I would probably take the time to paint out those fuzzy areas between the leaves, but that's just me. :c3: Nice work!

Julie Kenward
10-15-2011, 12:39 PM
I like it, too. (And it sounds like we use many of the same props!) I like how you've presented it here but also wonder if you tried running a high pass filter on the image (or possibly an emboss filter" to get even more crispness to the fracted lines in the image? I think a bit more crispness might take this up another notch.

denise ippolito
10-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Andrew, I absolutely love it! Nice color combo and pattern, it does have an organic look to it as Kerry mentioned. I do wish you had a sliver more on the bottom so that the horizontal stem didn't compete with the bottom edge of the frame. Nice work and you have inspired me to look for a fern!:S3:

John Storjohann
10-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Very cool Andrew...Kerry pretty much summed it all up! I guess I'm going to have to invest in some scotch tape and a lawn chair before that patent comes out ! :t3

Andrew McLachlan
10-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks folks for the comments, much appreciated!

Denise, the bottom horizontal stem bothers me a little too. I actually went looking for another fern leaf to use as this one began to wither. I was going to fine tune the leaf with a small pair of scissors to eliminate such leaf parts to get a nice clean edge, but all the ones I found were rather ugly as they were pretty much done for the season. There is always next year though! :S3:

Cheryl Slechta
10-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Andrew, this is very cool. It reminds me of batik.:S3:

Indranil Sircar
10-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Wonderful composition and I love the look of it!

denise ippolito
10-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Andrew, I went out to the florist today and bought a couple of flower stems- as I was leaving I asked for a piece of baker fern so that I could try this. The baker fern doesn't have the nice rounded edges that your fern has but it has inspired me to keep looking! This really is one of my all time favorites of yours!!:S3:

Andrew McLachlan
10-19-2011, 05:04 PM
Thanks Cheryl, Denise and Indranil for additional comments.

Denise, I can't wait to see what you come up with. Sharp edges will probably look really cool too! We have only had one very mild frost here at my home, so I think I may look for more this weekend before we get a killing frost that wipes them all out. Thanks again :S3: