PDA

View Full Version : David and Goliath

Tom Rambaut
10-14-2011, 08:30 PM
This Pelican was being chased off by a Little Black Cormorant. I was taking shots of the Cormorant by its self ( hence the +2/3 EV) when the Pelican came into the picture so to speak. The Cormorant was having none of it and chased it off. I got a few frames of the action and this was to me the best of them. If I had time to think I would have dropped the EV Comp back down to zero or -1/3 to save the whites.While it captures the action the lack of DOF and the resulting OOF of the pelicans eye worries me. I also used a liner burn on the whitest whites.

1dMK4, 500mm + 1.4ext, 1/1000 @ 5.6, ISO 500, EV +2/3.

Thanks Tom

Randy Stout
10-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Tom:

The action/interaction here comes through very clearly. I appreciate your self critique, but the image still works for me. Impact is very important, and this image does it well.

Good job saving the whites.

Cheers

Randy

adrian dancy
10-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Unfortunately this is a rear view shot of some interesting behaviour..the potential for impact would have been far greater had the pelican been facing you. I'm sorry but the drama is just a little too detached for this image to work for me.....a good effort in the circumstance which were beyond control.

Doug Brown
10-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Nice action captured, and I like your thought process on exposure. Sharpness of the Pelican doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I agree with Adrian that the action isn't enough to compensate for the viewing angle.

Tom Rambaut
10-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the comments guys - my finger hovered over the delete button with this one. I was not sure if it would work or not with the pelican facing away and it seems to be an issue. Thanks for the honest comments.