PDA

View Full Version : Lioness

Hilary Hann
10-14-2011, 07:02 PM
7D; 100-400 @ 400; ISO800; 1/320: f6.3

One of two lionesses seen by the marshes at Lewa WC, the other lioness was off mating with one of the pride males. We watched this lioness over a couple of days and she looked melancholy for the whole time. This was taken at around 6pm … sunset on the Equator. Hopefully the NR versus sharpening has worked a little better.

peter delaney
10-15-2011, 04:47 AM
hi Hilary

just thought it needed a little boost

Ken Watkins
10-15-2011, 04:50 AM
Peter,

Your repost is a big improvement, I found the original post to be quite dull.

Steve Kaluski
10-15-2011, 06:26 AM
Hi Hilary, good on you, things are looking up and this is a nice post/portrait. The PP is coming along nicely and armed with your expanding knowledge of PP and your new skills 'toolbox' you will have before the end of the year, then like a lot of us, we know next years trips will be very fruitful.

Looks like the NR & sharpening is spot on, wouldn't change a thing and the BKG separates the subject nicely. The colours look to reflect a slightly overcast day which obviously has helped retain the whites. Personally I find Peters a tad too contrasty, especially with the blacks and the eyes just bright, however you could just tweak yours a fraction if you wish taking on board some of his thoughts. Just wonder if the magenta is coming through just a little, more evident when you compare the two together???

I might suggest a slightly tighter crop, only to remove the hip area, plus, perhaps a portrait format might also work too.

Well done.

TFS
Steve :cheers:

Morkel Erasmus
10-15-2011, 06:42 AM
This has to boast with the best IQ I've seen from your posts in a while, Hilary...:5
Nicely composed/cropped too.

I too felt it was a tad underexposed, but looking at Peter's repost it is a bit 'too much' for me - somewhere in the middle might be best?
Here is my take...darkened BG slightly, and did some selective dodging on midtones and shadows of her face.

Peter,

Your repost is a big improvement, I found the original post to be quite dull.

Ken, could you perhaps clarify that comment? I can see that the OP was a tad underexposed on the face...but in my mind (and I'm sure many others :e3), the word "dull" has a much more negative connotation...:w3

Morkel Erasmus
10-15-2011, 06:43 AM
Sorry Steve - posted simultaneously there :w3.
I like your crop suggestion.

Ken Watkins
10-15-2011, 06:54 AM
Morkel,

I am not going to enter into correspondence with you regarding the meaning of my comment, if you think that dull can be considered "negative" then that is your choice.

But to me it means "lacking life" or as others may put it "oomph!",

This is totally supported by the subsequent reposts by Steve and yourself, which have adressed some of my reservations regarding the OP.

Morkel Erasmus
10-15-2011, 07:08 AM
Morkel,

I am not going to enter into correspondence with you regarding the meaning of my comment, if you think that dull can be considered "negative" then that is your choice.

No need to. I merely asked to 'clarify' - not to debate...
Which you did here:

But to me it means "lacking life" or as others may put it "oomph!",

This is totally supported by the subsequent reposts by Steve and yourself, which have adressed some of my reservations regarding the OP.

Cheers :cheers:

Hilary Hann
10-15-2011, 07:31 AM
Peter, I agree that a bit more contrast works well and I like your repost which echoes some of your comments re my b&w leopard (some time ago now).

I will perhaps tone it down slightly (as suggested by Steve & Morkel) only because it mirrors the slightly contemplative mood shown by the lioness at the time.

Morkel, I am using your workflow as a template and adjusting it here and there to get a feel for parameters which suit the result I'm looking for. I was pleased with this outcome but did ignore contrast to achieve tone. Happy mediums and balance are always in the back of my mind whilst I'm trying to extract the best from my current files. By starting on these fairly standard shots I hope to be able to do a better job on some of the more interesting ones. Having a lot more fun though. :bg3: The positive and helpful ideas I've been given have been most welcome.

Steve Kaluski
10-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Hilary, you are most welcome and WE are all very happy to help you and others and see how people develop/progress. Keep up the good work. :cheers:

cheers
Steve

Ken Watkins
10-15-2011, 07:56 AM
WE are all very happy to help you and others

Steve,

A most interesting comment from you, it makes you think, I think:w3

Rachel Hollander
10-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Hilary - I too am learning from each of your posts so thanks. I think your OP depicts the melancholy feel you describe. I believe it has something to do with the darker eyes which Steve's repost retains a bit more than the other reposts.

TFS,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
10-15-2011, 10:21 AM
No need to. I merely asked to 'clarify' - not to debate...
Which you did here: Cheers :cheers:

You are most welcome Morkel:cheers::cheers:

Mark Wiseman
10-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Hi Hilary,
I like your image. There is good detail, a nice background and you have a good POV.
I agree that the image needs a boost and the work done by Steve and Morkel has resulted in an improvement.
I feel there has been too much contrast applied in Peter's repost. I feel the crop applied by Steve adds to your image.
Please remember that the image was taken by you. You pressed the shutter release, the post processing and your workflow can be done by anyone as shown by the above reposts.
You have done well and I am sure the next image will be just as good.
Thanks for sharing,
Mark.
:5:cheers:

Hilary Hann
10-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks Rachel and Mark. I appreciate the feedback. :S3:

Jay Gould
10-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Steve's crop and Morkie's :tinysmile_shy_t: processing = :5

Harshad Barve
10-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Very nice indeed Hilary , loved the looks she is giving and stunning BG