PDA

View Full Version : 2 Shorebirds

Richard Stern
10-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Juvenile Least and White-rumped sandpipers in Wolfville, NS recently. D7000, 300 f/4 AF-S + 1.7TC.

1/800, f/7.1, ISO auto at 1250 (hand-held, so I wanted the high shutter speed).

I would like to have got lower, but the birds were halfway down a cliff and would have flown if I had attempted to do so. I would like to have seen more of the Least's legs and no overlap of the tail. Also perhaps better head angle on the Least. However, I liked the background and the birds' plumage, and didn't have to crop too much, and overall I thought it was quite a good image, so I thought I would post it for any other comments.

Richard

Joel Eade
10-15-2011, 06:57 AM
You did well with a nice and pose and head angle on both birds and they are sharp. The BG colors compliments the subjects well. Very nicely done!

John Chardine
10-16-2011, 07:49 AM
Hi Richard- Great to see these two together. Image is nice and sharp and I like the flat light. Too bad above the highish camera angle but if you were lower the little Least would have been cut off.

Kerry Perkins
10-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Richard, your self-assessment is right on for me - you deserve high marks for knowing the strengths and weaknesses of the image! After all is said, I do like this image a lot. Would like it even more if I could see the feet of the Least SP. :c3:

Chris Korman
10-18-2011, 02:37 AM
While I like the composition of the two birds I feel the scene might have benefited with some warmth or more appearance of the sun.