PDA

View Full Version : Flash Batteries & External Pwr Supply?

Steve Wheeler
04-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Hello all... I have a couple of questions regarding batteries, chargers & external power supplies for a flash.

I recently bought a 580EX II, but have not yet powered it up.

BATTERIES

- :confused:If I went with batteries to start out with what would you suggest?
I understand NiMH will re-cycle more quickly than alkaline. :confused:True?
(Better for environment too as they're aren't thrown away as often.)

- :confused:Lithium?

- :confused:Charger for NiMH (or lithium) batteries? Some are "smarter" than others I assume... "Powerex" is a brand I've read about... :confused:Is that what I should be looking for if I go this route first?

EXTERNAL POWER SUPPLY

Don't have a clue here what features or brands to be looking for and strangely, I haven't seen one offered by Canon... (Maybe I haven't been looking hard enough.)

:confused:Suggestions on brand and features?

:confused:I understand external supplies have even shorter re-cycle times? (Bigger batteries I assume?)

- :confused:I guess a case could be made for having BOTH methods available in ones kit, depending on what your doing... or would you definetly go for one method first over the other?

Thank you all in advance for any input you could offer!:D

Steve

Rocky Sharwell
04-03-2008, 06:15 PM
I used to carry around a heavy Quantum Turbo---But a few years ago switched to a Canon CP-E3-which holds 8 AA rechargeable batteries. I have used Powerex for years and have been happy..

Jim Neely
04-03-2008, 07:43 PM
I do the same thing Rocky does and it works well.

jn

Steve Wheeler
04-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Rocky, Jim.... Thank you for your feedback. Sounds like a good way to get this thing cranked up.

Steve

Alfred Forns
04-03-2008, 09:43 PM
I had one of those also and can recommend !!!! Works great and it is very light !!

Another advantage ..... if it breaks/fails Just load the batteries in the flash !!! ... oh and there is no cable to buy Its built in !!!

Bob Ettinger
04-04-2008, 01:20 PM
What Rocky and Al and Jim said. Works great.

Jason Elsworth
04-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Make sure to take a look at the new Powerex Imedion batteries. They come ready charged and are meant to keep 85% of their charge over a 1 year period, as opposed to standard NiMH batteries, which can loose charge over a few days if not used in my experience. I don't know if there are any performance differences between the Imedions and the standard style, but I doubt if it is significant.

Steve Wheeler
04-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks Jason.... As a matter of fact I was discussing this with a freind at lunch today and he mentioned the same thing. He understood "Regular" NiMH batteries continually loose their charge over time even when not in use.

I will look into the Imedion batteries.

Thanks again!

Steve

Charles Glatzer
04-04-2008, 07:55 PM
2100 Imedion vs 2700mAh Powerex can be significant in heavy use. Carrying at least one set of spares is recommended.

Chas

Steve Wheeler
04-04-2008, 08:00 PM
2100 Imedion vs 2700mAh Powerex can be significant in heavy use. Carrying at least one set of spares is recommended.

Chas

Chas... I THINK what your saying is the 2700mAh will out last/out perform the 2100mAh under heavy use?

Is that right?

Steve

Jason Elsworth
04-05-2008, 12:30 AM
Chas... can you clarify a bit please. Are recycle times effected or is it just a case of them not lasting as long. I probably would trade this off against the PITA of NIMHs loosing their charge.