PDA

View Full Version : American Kestrel

Robert Holguin
10-14-2011, 02:19 AM
Hello everyone. The other day while driving around a park I spotted this kestrel. In the past I have had real bad luck getting close, so I drove up to it expecting for it fly away. This one was braver than the rest and stayed put. Took a couple of shots and I left it alone. Im not to happy about the perch but one day I'll get one on a natural perch.
C&C welcomed and encouraged.
Camera - Nikon 300s, Lense - Nikon 200-400 w/1.4 tc, Exposure - 1/800, Aperture - F8, ISO - 500, Focal Length - 550mm, Metering - Multi Segment, Manual.

arash_hazeghi
10-14-2011, 02:23 AM
this is a cool raptor and one of my fav. birds. pose is nice but light was a bit harsh creating shadows...I hope you can get one on a natural perch soon!

Xander Sales
10-14-2011, 02:40 AM
I also like raptors a lot... but most of the time they fly away to soon!

This one looks nice, but maybe you can move the bird a little bit to the right to create a more exciting compo!

Greetings,

Xander
http://www.xanderfotografie.nl

Mital Patel
10-14-2011, 05:22 AM
Robert,

very nice image and yes compared to our Kestrels American's have more beautiful version of them :)
Specially male...

Agree with Arash about harsh light and perch. Good luck for next time and this is surely a keeper for me being it a front shot ...

Randy Stout
10-14-2011, 06:56 AM
Robert:

Nice that he sat for you, I haven't had any luck with them. I agree about the perch, but they sure hang out on barbed wire a lot.

I do agree with Xander about the comp. If the IQ will tolerate I would crop from the right and bottom.

As Arash mentioned, light is pretty bright. I might run a multiply blend layer on the bird to knock down the highlights a bit.

Cheers

Randy

Kaustubh Deshpande
10-14-2011, 05:04 PM
I also find kestrels on such perches...and usually much higher...you at least got him at a good shooting angle. nice details. Rest has already been covered. Did you get the opportunity to get a good head turn?

Randy Stout
10-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Robert:

I had a minute to do a repost with some of the things I mentioned above.

Multiply layer (41%) on brightest areas of the bird, head, breast and feet. Left darker areas as original.

Cropped

You can do a much better job on the original file, but hope this gives you an idea of the possibilities.

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
10-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Randy beat me to the punch by a few seconds. 15% Linear Burn on the brightest areas plus lots more to give it some pop.

Robert Holguin
10-15-2011, 11:47 PM
Thanks everyone for all the comments and advice. Randy and Arthur thank you for the repost they look much better.

Kaustubh I took several shots and I think this one has a better head angle.