PDA

View Full Version : Herring Gull (?)

Ron Sprunger
10-14-2011, 12:40 AM
In April, at Fort De Soto, this lone bird was among the Laughing Gulls, looking very lonely. I'm guessing from Sibley that it's a Herring Gull, late first winter. Correction would be welcome. There were a number of other photogs pursuing this guy, and I figure some of them knew his identity.

This is a full-frame image taken 7:00 am. The comp feels just a tad tight at the top to me, and I'm pretty sure Artie would say I should have gotten his body angled a little more toward me, but I kinda liked this posture, and the head against the white of the surf. C&C most welcome and appreciated.

Nikon D7000, 500mm f/4, 1.7x
1/320, f/14, ISO 400.

Mital Patel
10-14-2011, 05:24 AM
Ron
This is huge gull. Good walking pose and clean sandy beach. liked the lifted leg going in direction of the arc of beach shape (Seems steep).

Bummer about the smoky waves.

Ron Sprunger
10-14-2011, 08:23 AM
Mital, I agree about the waves, a result of my unfortunate selection of f/14. That happened because I accidentally had it on shutter priority. I can go back and blur them a little, as well as stretch the top, if the image seems worth the effort. But it won't be the same as if I'd gotten it right in camera. f/8 and faster shutter would have worked well.

Mital Patel
10-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Mital, I agree about the waves, a result of my unfortunate selection of f/14. That happened because I accidentally had it on shutter priority. I can go back and blur them a little, as well as stretch the top, if the image seems worth the effort. But it won't be the same as if I'd gotten it right in camera. f/8 and faster shutter would have worked well.

Nothing to worry about Ron.
You got it what you have to do on your next visit. for time being as the IQ is really nice here i would really dont mind giving it a try to make bg as keeper till i get another perfect shot...

We are capturing nature and we hardly get something perfect to not touch or process afterwards. It all depends on personal ethics which comes after years once you have everything backed up in HD's. I really trash many files that I would love to keep right now at that point of time..

:S3:

Sidharth Kodikal
10-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Ron, very nice low angle, and "in-stride" pose. Nice sharpness too. I agree with you that a bit more room above would be nice.

Just a general idea I try to follow - If I'm in a situation where the bird is too big in the frame - which doesn't happen too often - I remember to include in-camera the part which would be difficult to add in PP.
In this case, the fg sand could be added in PP more easily than the bg waves. I would thus point the lens up a bit and get some more on top in-camera.

Kaustubh Deshpande
10-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Ron, I dont think the bird angle is an issue...as you clicked when the head turn was nice. f/14 messed the BG a bit...as you yourself have noted. Yes to space above....loved the pose and sharpness.

Ron Sprunger
10-15-2011, 12:01 AM
Thanks for looking, Sidharth and Kaustubh. Most of my shots in this sequence cut off the feet, so I was just happy to get the whole bird in the frame. Will keep your good advice in mind next time I get such a situation. Still no confirmation of the species, so I'll consider him an immature Herring for now.

Sidharth Kodikal
10-15-2011, 04:26 AM
... Most of my shots in this sequence cut off the feet, so I was just happy to get the whole bird in the frame. ...

Definitely a keeper, Ron.

... Still no confirmation of the species, so I'll consider him an immature Herring for now.

+1 to a 1st winter Herring, although I'll admit I'm not too good with Gulls.

Ron Sprunger
10-16-2011, 01:35 AM
Thanks Sidharth.