PDA

View Full Version : Wind on the water (detail)

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-13-2011, 11:55 PM

One of those images that plainly won't show at 200KB... This is a 100% detail (still some loss of sharpness due to jpeg, sigh)... to give an idea. The original shot was taken of Yellowstone Lake as the wind came up very quickly near sunset. It was taken with an 85mm tilt-shift lens tilted so the surface of the water taken at an angle is in focus top to bottom. Processed with LAB curves and Topaz Simplify & Detail2.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Indranil Sircar
10-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Wonderful composition, Michael. I like how have been able to keep the essence of the waves and the angle of light. I agree the details are much finer to show-up in this size. Wonderful colors and effect of the filter. TFS.

Brendan Dozier
10-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Beautiful abstract composition, Michael! Amazing rich colors, light and textures. Excellent creative and tasteful filtering work, very relaxing and enjoyable to look at. Think it would look good on large canvas too. Don't exactly understand your capture technique, could we have a look at the base image to see how you transformed it?

Andrew McLachlan
10-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Hi Michael, very cool effect. Love the abstract look and the colors too!

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-15-2011, 01:19 AM
Indranil, Brendan, Andrew,

Thanks much for the comments... Brendan, here's the tone corrected (it was underexposed) original...

The surface has a texture of very small micro waves that are visible top to bottom with the help of the tilt-shift lens. Extra micro-contrast ala Topaz Detail2 in one layer blended with a Topaz Simplify (BuzSim base with detail and saturation adjustments). Throw in a LAB mode curve or two (for color contrast) and sharpening... the OP is a crop from the center (a little left and a little down. The color is from the reflected sky just lightly adding sunset colors (and saturation boost in Topaz Detail2).

Cheers,

-Michael-

Julie Kenward
10-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Very nicely done, Michael! I've seen the same look on the water before and your processing really brought out the movement and texture of the water. I also like how you pumped up the saturation and intensity of the original image.

denise ippolito
10-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Michael, Wow- what a transformation! The color combo is nice and I like the effect. I might crop off the dark top edge if it were mine. Nicely done.:S3:

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Jules, Denise,

Thank you for the comments... Denise the OP is a crop of the full image but it won't show in 200KB... Here's another one that I'm okay with the softness from the size limit... a bit more painterly.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Cheryl Slechta
10-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Michael, I like the OP the best. I love the rich colors and it reminds me of a hillside with grain or flowers rippling on it. Nicely done:S3:

Brendan Dozier
10-17-2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks for showing the original image, Michael, very creative transformation. I like the first post better than the other version.