PDA

View Full Version : Yellowjacket - Studio Portrait

Steve Maxson
10-13-2011, 04:10 PM
This is a female Yellowjacket (Vespula sp.). I recently learned how to make studio photos of insects and other small critters using a simple lightbox and have been having fun with it. 7D, 100 mm macro, 1/250, f/16, ISO 100, lightbox, remotely fired 430 & 580 flashes, tripod. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Andrew McLachlan
10-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Hi Steve, love it! The detail in the head is amazing! Very nice work!

Jason Hurst
10-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Very nice, Steve!

Did you manage to get any photos of the "business" end of the wasp?

Steve Maxson
10-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Jason: I was VERY careful to avoid that end! :Whoa!:

Very nice, Steve!

Did you manage to get any photos of the "business" end of the wasp?

Jason Hurst
10-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Jason: I was VERY careful to avoid that end! :Whoa!:

A very WISE and talented man you are!

Julie Kenward
10-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Steve, incredible image you have here. Question: When you do a "studio setup" for a wasp do you encase it in something or let it have free flying capabilities and just wait for it to land where you want it? (For instance, a clear lucite box or some other way to contain the insect?)

Steve Maxson
10-16-2011, 10:45 AM
Jules: There are a number of ways to handle insects and other invertebrates in the "studio" depending on how active they are. Some slow-moving insects can simply be placed in the studio setting. For many others, you can place them in the setup and put a petri dish cover (or something similar) over them and then leave them there for a few minutes until they settle down. When ready, you can lift off the cover and they will often pose for you for a few seconds to several minutes. For things like wasps which can readily fly and could sting you, it seems prudent to do a little more - and in this case I cooled the wasp down in the refrigerator for a few minutes before placing it in the setup - once it warms up and gets active, but hopefully before it is ready to fly, I'll put the petri dish cover over it, transfer it outside, and release it. I know some folks don't care for this method, but conceptually, I don't see this as any different than what happens to insects in the wild every time there is a cool night. Having said this, I think your idea of a clear container to hold the wasp (perhaps with a small door on one side though which to photograph) has some merit and I'll have to give that a try. :S3:

Steve, incredible image you have here. Question: When you do a "studio setup" for a wasp do you encase it in something or let it have free flying capabilities and just wait for it to land where you want it? (For instance, a clear lucite box or some other way to contain the insect?)

Ken Childs
10-16-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm a big fan of this type of shot.....it may not look natural but there's nothing to distract from the subject so every little detail becomes more apparent.....you did a great job of showing off that detail!

When I have an uncooperative moth that I need to document, I'll capture it and put it in the fridge for 10 minutes of so. I agree that this doesn't hurt them at all. Is your lightbox made out of white foam core?

Paul Lagasi
10-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Some people have strange playmates...but the end result says it all. Just a lovely image, the details and overall lighting is lovely. I can just imagine, my wife coming home and finding a wasp in the fridge....she's a 3rd degree black belt, I'd be runnin.

Steve Maxson
10-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks for your comments folks! :S3:

Ken: White foam core would make an excellent lightbox, but mine is literally a box - 14x14x14 inch cardboard box lined with white posterboard. Size is not critical and the lining is not critical - most anything white with a matte finish would work (e.g., white printer paper).

denise ippolito
10-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Steve, Nice pose and sharpness, the high key BG is sweet!:S3: