PDA

View Full Version : Queen Anne's Lace

Julie Kenward
10-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Used Nik's Silver Efex to convert this to a black and white and really liked the way it turned out. Added additional sharpening to the front of the flower to help draw the focus there and finished it with a soft white vignette.

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8
f4 @ 1/800th, ISO 400
Handheld, manual mode, evaluative metering

Steve Maxson
10-14-2011, 09:37 AM
Hi Jules. It looks like your PP efforts paid off quite well! I'm surprised at how much DOF you got at f/4! Good sharpness, nice comp, and the B&W treatment works very well here (said the guy who is usually not a big fan of B&W :S3: ). The white vignette is the frosting on the cake. This is very nicely done!

Julie Kenward
10-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Thank you, Steve. I've been doing a lot of b&w conversions lately, trying to learn the different techniques and tricks to really show off the structure of the flowers instead of just the pretty colors. Appreciate you chiming in on this one!

As for f4...I'm in love with f4. I don't know what it is but I can squeeze every last centimeter of DOF out of f4 and keep right on shooting. I think much of my success is not being afraid to contort my body to get just the right focal plane to maximize the sensor to the object.

Rene Quenneville
10-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Great picture Julie. The black and white conversion is just right. The DOF and the angled comp are very well done.

Ken Childs
10-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Hey Jules, very nice conversion work done here! This has an almost infrared look to it which looks great with this subject.

I've taken lots of shots of QA Lace in all of its forms and for the most, I haven't been happy with the results. Maybe I need to get more creative when editing them. :bg3:

Have you ever worked with B/W Styler? I like it a lot but I haven't done much with it lately. I guess I need to dust it off and try again.

Paul Lagasi
10-16-2011, 01:01 PM
The vignetting, b&w effect make this a winner to me, lovely work Julie

Anita Bower
10-20-2011, 06:32 AM
Thank you, Steve. I've been doing a lot of b&w conversions lately, trying to learn the different techniques and tricks to really show off the structure of the flowers instead of just the pretty colors. Appreciate you chiming in on this one!

As for f4...I'm in love with f4. I don't know what it is but I can squeeze every last centimeter of DOF out of f4 and keep right on shooting. I think much of my success is not being afraid to contort my body to get just the right focal plane to maximize the sensor to the object.

Also, you have a steady hand to hold the camera!

Anita Bower
10-20-2011, 06:33 AM
Beautiful! Even in B&W. :bg3:

Hazel Grant
10-20-2011, 08:39 AM
just curious. Was this an inside shot? I don't see any other "stuff" in the background. Queen Ann Lace is usually in a field, so the BK would be busy. Not a critique, just a question. If there was other busyness in BK how did you get rid of it PP?