PDA

View Full Version : Burst Pipe

Bob Dromgoole
10-13-2011, 12:18 AM
This photo was taken on the Kilauea Volcano lava flow, at Kalapana Hawaii.
I lived there when I first arrived in Hawaii 20+ yrs ago, but only for a few weeks, as it was overrun and the village consumed by the flows.
What a welcome!
So on to the photo. I got to the flow sort of early (6-ish) this morning, a couple others had just arrived as well. After gearing up, and getting out on the flow, I spotted
a bright point of light up way the pali (hill- very steep in this case) and went to see what it was. After about 3 hot grueling hours,
I arrived at a most spectacular site. A small fountain of lava was there before me along with a rising sun, surrounded miles of black cooled lava, and a view of
the ocean and the plume emanating from where the lava enters. The full glory of creation.
It truly was one on the peak moments of my life. It was also my first time out shooting glowing liquid rock, and with
a camera that was brand new to me! I just hoped I could make it work. Here is one of my favorites.
In this shot, a subterranean lava tube has burst through a weak spot in the roof of the tube and made its way out.

Nik Define (light noise redux)
Nik Viveza (increase structure, darken shadows slightly.)
Tiny sharpen in LR
I did not saturate the color. Full frame. I hope you enjoy it.

Canon 7D
70-200 2.8 @ 140mm
iso 100
1/8 sec
f18

http://www.islandlightphoto.com/img/v31/p1009700240-4.jpg

anujgandhe
10-13-2011, 12:37 AM
woah never seen it up so close... sad for the villagers.. the shades of orange are simply superb..

Bob Dromgoole
10-13-2011, 12:45 AM
Yes, very sad. Many are still in the area. It was/is a very strong community of people.
Keep an eye out here, you may see it even closer!
I could look at those oranges all day...lol

Andrew McLachlan
10-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Hi Bob, nice image design and I love the contrast between the orange and blacks. Nice work!

Jay Gould
10-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Outstanding!

Have seen it in person; you have captured the essence of the flow.

Look forward to more of your images and to your becoming a member of this wonderful community.

Bob Dromgoole
10-14-2011, 12:20 AM
Thank you very much Andrew and Jay. How nice Jay you were able to visit.
The flows have been mostly quiet for about 9 months now though the craters are active.
I do look forward to sharing and learning with this seemingly fine bunch of folks!

Jay Gould
10-14-2011, 12:22 AM
Thank you very much Andrew and Jay. How nice Jay you were able to visit.
The flows have been mostly quiet for about 9 months now though the craters are active.
I do look forward to sharing and learning with this seemingly fine bunch of folks!

"Seemingly"! :Whoa!:

I agree, we are pretty "seemingly" for the fine bunch of folks.

Cheers, Mate

Bob Dromgoole
10-14-2011, 12:30 AM
Haha, nothing personal I assure you! :e3 But after all we've just met :bg3:
And I do actually like you already. lol

Jay Gould
10-14-2011, 12:35 AM
:wave: Ditto!

The image is so cool - now to cyber over to your website.

Bob Dromgoole
10-14-2011, 12:44 AM
I'm in the process of re-doing the site. I recently deleted all my PP'd pix, (now that I'm more proficient and have better tools).
So it will be a slow process!

John Chardine
10-14-2011, 06:13 AM
I love the colours and the detail in the dark-toned lava. I think a longer exposure would have produced more of a feeling a flow in the molten lava rather than a feeling that parts of the image are out of focus.

Robert Amoruso
10-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Welcome Bob,

Nice post to start off with. I agree with the others comments.

Rachel Hollander
10-15-2011, 08:19 AM
Welcome Bob, great color and good comments and suggestions above.

TFS and looking forward to more,
Rachel

Bob Dromgoole
10-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks John Robert and Rachel for commenting. Glad you enjoyed the shot.
Although I have done longer exposures,I find it removes too much of the detail and to me look less realistic.
It does work very well for some shots but generally it's not my preference.

Jay Gould
10-15-2011, 04:58 PM
John, can't agree on this one. A longer exposure would blur the flow lines.

Andrew Aveley
10-16-2011, 02:53 AM
Awesome contrast of colours with composition making this a creative image !

John Chardine
10-16-2011, 07:21 AM
John, can't agree on this one. A longer exposure would blur the flow lines.

Of course that's the whole idea Jay. But as it stands they are a little blurred with the 1/8s shutter speed so as mentioned it looks almost like parts of the flow are OOF. I prefer no blur or significant blur but not in between. Just my opinion.