PDA

View Full Version : Fearsome Grizzly...

Gerald Kelberg
10-12-2011, 08:57 AM
...quietly munching on sage grass as she poses for the camera during a lengthy modeling session! :w3

I have been revisiting & processing some of my older images and loved this one taken at Hallo Bay in Katmai NP in June 08, with Robert O'Toole. This big blonde lady really knew how to pose for the cameras.

Snowline at the top is a little bothersome (bright and lacking detail), so I have tried knocking it back.

Canon 1D MkIII, EF500mm f/4L, 1/800 sec at f/4, ISO 400
PP in LR and PS4 with a light touch of Topaz Detail and very light NR.

Comments appreciated.

Gerald

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Gorgeous image of this big ole beauty. I only wish for the snowline to be gone or still softer yet. Nice detail on the bear.

Ken Watkins
10-12-2011, 09:53 AM
This is a real beauty, the BG is a nuisance, but I can ignore it.:cheers::cheers:

Phillip Tomkinson
10-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Hi the bear is strong enough not to have to worry about the back ground a very nice image.

Phil.

:S3:

Steve Kaluski
10-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Now that is one cool bear Gerald, do you have to pay Royalties for usage? :bg3:

Really good detail and I like the way you have handled the treatment of the eyes & nose, nicely processed overall. The thin strip of grass is a nice platform for the bear to sit on and works well, (perhaps a sliver more?). I think your call on how to treat the BKG was a good one and as Phil said, the main focus is the bear, the BKG is muted and subtle and helps separate the bear. If you had a mind to you could extend the whole BKG up so you do not have the whites & peaks of the mountain range, but I like it as presented.

TFS
Steve :cheers:

Tom Graham
10-12-2011, 12:47 PM
FWIW, all I can add is agree with Steve. Very nice photo.
Tom

Mark Wiseman
10-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Hi Gerald,
Not much to add to what has been said already. This is a wonderful image and thanks for sharing. It is just a pity about the snowline.
:cheers:

Morkel Erasmus
10-12-2011, 03:15 PM
A stunning model indeed, Gerald! Did she sign a 'release'? :w3
Really love the clarity here, and the look of this bear. I agree it could stand a sliver more space below, and the BG for me detracts in no way, my eyes are fixed on the lovely bear! :cheers:

Marc Mol
10-12-2011, 03:40 PM
She's a real star alright Gerald, took the liberty of a repost here, hope you don't mind.
Used a combo of a lumo mask and Nik tonal contrast plus spot healing /content aware in CS5, and cropped a bit from the top, perhaps a tad too dark but it really makes her pop more I feel?
Let me know what you think?

Mike Veltri
10-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Great image, love the pose and eye contact Gerald.

Hilary Hann
10-12-2011, 06:47 PM
All been said, it is a lovely image of a very handsome bear.

Sid Garige
10-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Very nice bear portarit. Love that eye contact.

Harshad Barve
10-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Terrific image for sure , big congrats
TFS

Dumay de Boulle
10-12-2011, 11:56 PM
Doesn't look so fearsome to me!:t3 This is fantatsic. I love the textures, colors and pose...Not often I say the words "I wish it was mine" but this one makes me wish it...:cheers::5

Ken Watkins
10-13-2011, 01:14 AM
Marc,

The repost is nicely done, but as you said is a little too dark

Brendan Dozier
10-13-2011, 02:45 AM
I agree, Gerald, this is absolutely gorgeous!! Wonderful light, comp, love the eye contact, fur texture, and nice soft BG of surrounding habitat. She looks like she is smiling at you! I want to give her a big hug, but I know she would tear my head off!! :bg3:

Gerald Kelberg
10-13-2011, 02:46 AM
Thank you all for the encouragement and your feedback! We were indeed very fortunate to have over an hour with this lovely bear posing and doing her 'bear things' - mostly just mooching around. I still have many images to process and reprocess!

Steve - agree, a small sliver more of the foreground - I have already added one sliver and thing I could run to two. In fact only the very slightest lightening on the eyes - too often this gets over done.

Marc - thanks for the re-post, albeit a tad dark. This does work well and I appreciate your taking the time. My instinct is to retain the snowline, though, because it speaks to me about the environment. Enjoy Zambia!

Now, where did I leave that release form...

Gerald

Rachel Hollander
10-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Gerald - it has all been said above but a very lovely portrait. I like the color of the OP, really shows how blonde some of these brown bears can be.

TFS,
Rachel