PDA

View Full Version : Stubb's Falls

Andrew McLachlan
10-11-2011, 09:09 PM
This is Stubb's Falls on the Little East River in Ontario's Arrowhead Provincial Park. I applied Topaz B&W Effects and reduced the opacity of the B&W to reveal some of the original color and some final tweaking with Nik's Viveza.

Look forward to comments.

Paul Lagasi
10-11-2011, 10:39 PM
I like all your fall's images, the effects rock, the trees, rocks, water..the leaves on the left of falls (big rock left center) look a little funky. Algonquin Park was a I did manage a few Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrows, lots of wildlife, and insects. Was a beautiful week and weekend.

denise ippolito
10-12-2011, 08:10 AM
Andrew, Very nice composition. The funky filtering looks good. I wonder if you can get the whites a little whiter? I might take a sliver off the top to clean up the edge of the hint of sky. Nice work as always! You are proving to be the king of waterfalls!!:S3:

Indranil Sircar
10-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Another beautiful composition, Andrew. Interesting effect and the waterfall certainly is beautiful. I too would prefer a bit whiter water. Excellent processing.

Mitch Carucci
10-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Sweet image. Wish I could be there. Great processing, but really love the location!

Andrew McLachlan
10-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words, much appreciated! When I did this one I decided to safe the settings as a preset. Will adjust the preset so the whites are a little whiter in the future posts.

Ron Bernstein
10-13-2011, 07:42 PM
I like this comp very much, Andrew, but I'd like to suggest an alternative take, taking your great idea of desaturating certain elements to another level. Specifically, I really like the water, the rocks and the leaves on the rocks, but the colors of the leaves on the trees aren't that lovely to me, particularly the yellows. They make that part of the picture seem angry to me, and pull my attention away from the rocks and water. I wonder what this image would look like if you desaturated all the color in the leaves on the trees, and the only color in the image was in the leaves on the rocks. I think that would help keep the viewer's eyes in that beautiful confluence of water in the center of the image.

Andrew McLachlan
10-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks Ron for the comments. I'll play around with your idea. Much appreciated!