PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron.

Karl Egressy
10-11-2011, 02:18 PM
I found this bird very ealry in the morning.
Lower or different angle was impossible.
Cropped from the original vertical 8x12 to 8x10.
Thanks for looking.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Manual Exposure
Tv 1/80
Av 4.5
ISO 400
EF500mm f/4L IS USM

Ron Sprunger
10-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Karl, another outstanding image. I hadn't seen a juvenile -- he's a very good-looking fellow. Great job with what must have been very low light. I love the comp, and the very lovely environment. The tail seems a little washed out, lacking contrast, but for f/4.5 you got impressive DOF.

Robert Holguin
10-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Real nice shot. I really like the habitat and its giving you a great pose. Nice detail too.
Well done.

Bob Dromgoole
10-11-2011, 06:36 PM
I agree with Ron, perhaps a bit busy BG, but you placed the bird well.
I'm especially liking the luminous eye!

Arthur Morris
10-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Did you use any flash? I ask because of the look of the pupil....

Karl Egressy
10-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Did you use any flash? I ask because of the look of the pupil....

Thanks, Artie. I used flash on and off. (switched it off and on manually to be sure that I get at least a few decent shots.)
Since I use Wimberley bracket which puts the flash above and to the side of the lens I don't get red eye or steel eye.
Here is the setting:
Flash Type External E-TTL
E-TTL II flash metering Evaluative flash metering
Flash Exposure Compensation -3
Shutter curtain sync 1st-curtain sync

Arthur Morris
10-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Since I use Wimberley bracket which puts the flash above and to the side of the lens I don't get red eye or steel eye.

You have red eye in this image :e3. Though that is the plan and I teach that and sell those :) the plan does not always work perfectly. In dark situations you will often get red eye as the pupil is open so wide that the flash bounces off the retina and causes red eye. As here. It is an easy fix. Select and desaturate the pupil. :).

Karl Egressy
10-11-2011, 08:20 PM
You have red eye in this image :e3. Though that is the plan and I teach that and sell those :) the plan does not always work perfectly. In dark situations you will often get red eye as the pupil is open so wide that the flash bounces off the retina and causes red eye. As here. It is an easy fix. Select and desaturate the pupil. :).

Thanks Artie. I tried it. It worked.:bg3:

Dan Busby
10-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Hi Karl. Nice that you got this youngster in a nice open spot - they are often hidden in branches and clutter. The BG is a bit busy but the bird is strong enough to keep our eyes on it. I might remove the white specs near the tip of the beak.

Arthur Morris
10-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks Artie. I tried it. It worked.:bg3:

YAW. I have been doing this for a while. Try this on for size; twice, in 28 years, with this and only with this species, I have gotten red eye from the setting sun reflecting off the water... With no flash used. Amazing :).