PDA

View Full Version : Early pack ice forming

Steve Kaluski
10-11-2011, 05:25 AM
Taken from a small hike we did when when the opportunity came to go ashore. The light from the mid afternoon sun just caught the edge of the forming pack ice on the other side of the island.

Sorry Rachel, you now have to make a decision I guess, will drop you a PM. :w3

Steve

Subject: View of pack ice forming along the bay
Camera: Canon MKIII
Lens: 24-70f/2.8 handheld
Exposure: 1/125s at f11 ISO200 0 compensation
Crop: Almost FF, cropped for presentation (original capture horizontal)

Rachel Hollander
10-11-2011, 07:37 AM
Steve - Not a bad choice to have to make but you do enjoy torturing me, don't you? :bg3:

I like the mosaic look to this and the snow capped mountains. Seems a little strong on the blues but that may be as it was. When I first looked it struck me that with all the different light and shadows, this might be an image that would lend itself well to b&w, WDYT?

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
10-11-2011, 07:55 AM
Hi Rachel, the sea was that lovely blue/green colour, but I did push the sky a bit, perhaps too much? Might look at the blacks in the neutrals.

Sadly I see it has been sold, but Robert was selling some ND filters I think?

After next week is over I might be able to add something else to the pot, a real dilemma then. :bg3::bg3::bg3:

If it goes to B/W I think it needs t be more contrasty, Morkel or PD might have a thought.

cheers
Steve

Steve Kaluski
10-11-2011, 08:16 AM
It's better Rachel, cheers. :cheers:

Rachel Hollander
10-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Steve - I agree, it's better. :cheers::cheers:

Andrew McLachlan
10-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Hi Steve, nicely done! I agree with Rachel that this may also look nice as a B&W.

Steve Kaluski
10-14-2011, 05:02 AM
OK guys, here you go. :w3

Steve Kaluski
10-14-2011, 05:04 AM
DOH!:bg3:

John Chardine
10-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Nice conversion Steve and a classic example of how much BW can do for an (already very nice) image. The conversion is making some noise visible in the sky which you could easily remove of course.

By the way, the pack ice is probably remnant first year ice made (somewhere, not necessarily there) in the previous winter.

Andrew McLachlan
10-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Hi Steve, yep...the B&W makes a lovely alternate version of this one. Nice conversion!

Rachel Hollander
10-15-2011, 07:58 AM
Steve - I too like the b&w version. Nicely done.

Rachel

Andrew Aveley
10-16-2011, 02:55 AM
I like both of your options but like the bw for more mood and adds more impact inho :)

Steve Kaluski
10-16-2011, 03:29 AM
I do think this area can be one of the most demanding 'disciplines' (for a better description) in the world of Photography. There is just so much at times to take in, no only in relation to the scene, but how to capture/execute it to maximum potential. I'm just playing, compare to some of the posts on here which are superb, but appreciate the input and suggestions to all.

cheers
Steve