Harry Behret
04-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Hi Y'all,

http://behret.smugmug.com/photos/274261272_QDPdr-L.jpg

D200 and 300mm f/4
ISO 200, Matrix Metering, f/4, 1/5000 sec, ev adj -0.67

Dieter Schaefer
04-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Nice wing position, good exposure of the whites. If this was mine, I'd get rid of the blue on the bottom (crop and/or clone in the yellow). I'd also clone out the dark blob below the egret's beak. There's a sizable sharpening halo around the legs - would back off on the sharpening there.

Linda Robbins
04-03-2008, 11:50 AM
A nice flight pose and good framing and detail, but the image looks somewhat oversaturated to me. I think the image would benefit from lightening the midtones.

Jim Poor
04-03-2008, 12:47 PM
I thought the whole thing was too yellow.

I desaturated a bit and cleaned up the lower area a little. A better job could be done there, but this gives an idea. I think the big issue with this image is that the bird is split by the transition from ground to sky along the horizon.

Manos Papadomanolakis
04-03-2008, 12:54 PM
I Iike Jim`s repost!

Fabs Forns
04-03-2008, 01:02 PM
I'd go for something in between the original and the repost.

Harry Behret
04-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Nice wing position, good exposure of the whites. If this was mine, I'd get rid of the blue on the bottom (crop and/or clone in the yellow). I'd also clone out the dark blob below the egret's beak. There's a sizable sharpening halo around the legs - would back off on the sharpening there.

Thanks for commenting Dieter. I agree about the defocused tree under the beak. I took a look at the image again on my PC and didn't see any halos around the legs at 100%, at 200 % I started to see some black edges around the upper head and wings but no halo on the legs until 300%.

Jim Poor
04-03-2008, 07:00 PM
We were talking about this during the IPT and some monitors (and mayhaps some eyes) don't show halos as readily as others. There is a noticeable light line along the bottom edge of the lower leg. One way to find it is to pull the image down and do a USM pretty heavy and look for the line. Once you find it, it is easier to see without the extra processing to bring it out.

Harry Behret
04-03-2008, 07:12 PM
We were talking about this during the IPT and some monitors (and mayhaps some eyes) don't show halos as readily as others. There is a noticeable light line along the bottom edge of the lower leg. One way to find it is to pull the image down and do a USM pretty heavy and look for the line. Once you find it, it is easier to see without the extra processing to bring it out.

I see it there but not on the original on my PC. I can only think that the downsizing may bring it out. When I downsize I use "bicubic sharper" in PS CS3.

Jim Poor
04-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Yes, Bicubic Sharper will bring out the halos. Also, you shouldn't sharpen until after the resize.