PDA

View Full Version : Push and Pull

Morkel Erasmus
10-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Another image from the South African "Wild Coast".

Manual blend of 3 exposures using Luminosity Masks in CS5.

Techs:
Canon 7D with 10-22mm USM @ 10mm
f16 @ ISO-100
The sun was rising behind the clouds just left-of-frame

Rachel Hollander
10-10-2011, 08:17 AM
Morkel - Nice sharpness throughout. I like the different colors and the leading line from the rocks in the fg. The breaking wave looks good too. My only nit is that I'm not crazy about the larger rock in the lrc as it seems to overpower the others. I wonder what it would have looked like if you had moved a few steps to the left. All in all though a very nice image.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
10-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Morkel,

I can see Rachel's point on the rock but am not as bothered by it that I would have mentioned it. Even though moving left might have produced a better leading line of the smaller rocks in the FG, I know that many times that is just not how it works out.

I tried and liked a shadow correction and obtaining more details in the shadows.

I would also suggest this would be a good scene for a polarizer (remove/lessen reflections on the rocks - unless that is your intention - IMO you do both images).

BTW: what was the shutter speed?

Andrew McLachlan
10-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Hi Morkel, I like the arrangement of the rocks and a perfect shutter speed for the incoming waves. They blurred quite nicely. I might try toning down the brightest area of the sky just a little if it were mine. Nice work!

Randy Bronkema
10-11-2011, 07:57 PM
very well done Morkel I really like the texture on the rocks. and the lines that pull you through the image. Maybe just a bit more sky?? The forground rock does not bother me so much but maybe you could darken it just a little. I would like to see this in B+W very cool image,

Randy

Morkel Erasmus
10-12-2011, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the honest feedback, folks.

Robert - I did use a polariser here, should have mentioned it. :tinysmile_shy_t:

Randy - tried a B&W but it wasn't working well for me - the water gets lost a bit, where in the colour version the water is the element that has the most vibrance.