PDA

View Full Version : Salad and a drink

Gary Esman
10-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Hello, one from this morning at a local sanctuary. Laying on my stomach shooting through a chain link fence. Checked the ground first and the area was clear!:bg3:

Comments and critiques welcome

7D, 1/2000, iso 400, f/7.1, 700mm

Gary.

Arthur Morris
10-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Here's one where the thumbnail looked great, but... The juxtaposition of the two necks is unfortunate. I little bit this way or that would likely have been lots better, especially if they formed a heart. It's strange that the body of the rear goose is sharp but the head and neck are not. Movement perhaps?

Gary Esman
10-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Here's one where the thumbnail looked great, but... The juxtaposition of the two necks is unfortunate. I little bit this way or that would likely have been lots better, especially if they formed a heart. It's strange that the body of the rear goose is sharp but the head and neck are not. Movement perhaps?

Thanks Artie, there is nothing about this shot you like? I do not think the slight sharpness discrepancy is from movement. I am assuming that 1/2000 would freeze a goose raising his head. Most likely due to a little shallow on the DOF.:w3

Gary.

Arthur Morris
10-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks Artie, there is nothing about this shot you like? I do not think the slight sharpness discrepancy is from movement. I am assuming that 1/2000 would freeze a goose raising his head. Most likely due to a little shallow on the DOF.:w3 Gary.

Apologies for not mentioning the perfect exposure and the sweet background. And you are right; the head of the rear bird must be just beyond the plane of focus. On the other hand the feathers on the upper back of the rear bird look sharp and the head is closer to us then those feathers... Not sure what the answer is but the net result is that the image does not work for me for the reasons mentioned originally.

Alan Murphy
10-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Interesting poses. Love the water color and low angle.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-09-2011, 05:32 PM
I really like the comp. The head angles together formed a really interesting image and I had to study it for a while to see who's head was whos. It's unfortunate the one head is soft. I love the blues in the water.

RakeshDhareshwar
10-10-2011, 02:33 AM
Love the compo here !! Both the birds seem sufficiently sharp to make this work.

arash_hazeghi
10-10-2011, 02:47 AM
I love the low angle, BG colors and nice exposure. I also wish the two necks had not merged and I agree the critical focus point is on the body of the closer goose so the farther one looks soft, I am not sure if it was possible to get both of them sharp even if you stopped down more but overall I like this image!

Randy Stout
10-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Gary:

This is a tremendous shooting angle form that location! Colors nice, the image makes you study it to figure out what belongs to who. In a perfect world, having the necks not overlapping would have been cool, but then the heads or bodies would have overlapped more, and would have lost ground that way.

Although greater DOF would have been nice, I am not sure how much additional softening of the image from the fence might occur.

I knew I should have stuck around a little longer!

Cheers

Randy

Gary Esman
10-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Gary:

This is a tremendous shooting angle form that location! Colors nice, the image makes you study it to figure out what belongs to who. In a perfect world, having the necks not overlapping would have been cool, but then the heads or bodies would have overlapped more, and would have lost ground that way.

Although greater DOF would have been nice, I am not sure how much additional softening of the image from the fence might occur.

I knew I should have stuck around a little longer!

Cheers

Randy

Thanks Randy, shooting through the fence does work, but I forgot to bring my new pad yesterday morning. Maybe some selective sharpening will bring the back goose head clearer. But hey, we are here to learn and possibly next time it will be awesome. No try, no gain. :bg3:

Gary.

Gary Esman
10-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks all for your comments and suggestions!

Gary.

Mital Patel
10-11-2011, 01:15 PM
I just loved this image. Dont know how i missed it.

Everything been said by seniors.

Here i find the image bit dark and room for some mids opening and high's recovery

What do you say on this ?

Gary Esman
10-12-2011, 06:27 PM
I just loved this image. Dont know how i missed it.

Everything been said by seniors.

Here i find the image bit dark and room for some mids opening and high's recovery

What do you say on this ?

Thanks Mital! Looks pretty darn good to me. Thanks for your help!

Gary