PDA

View Full Version : Cold, Frosty Morning

Steve Canuel
10-09-2011, 12:37 PM
A little break in a coming snow storm provided a nice frosted trees BG for me. 7D, 400DO + 1.4xTCII, f5.6, 1/80s, ISO 1000, +1 EC, tripod mount, small crop off bottom.

Morkel Erasmus
10-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Nice rack here Steve, and love the frosted trees in the BG.
I'm wondering if it needs just a tad shaven off the top?

Steve Canuel
10-09-2011, 01:07 PM
I'm wondering if it needs just a tad shaven off the top?

Thanks for the look Morkel. Went with this comp because I liked the color of the trees and wanted to keep a bit more of that on top than the yellow grasses under the elk.

Steve Kaluski
10-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Hey Steve, have you been working up to this, teasing us with the previous ones, this is exquisite. The muted colours have a lovely early winters feel to them, especially with the frost/snow on the tall grasses. Excellent pose/posture with a nice catchlight., I really like this one Steve, very well executed.

I can see where young (:bg3:) Morkel is coming from re crop, I tried 800 x 566 working from the bottom LHC and the centre point of the crop is then bang on the eye, an alternative perhaps, buy happy as presented.

Nicely done. :cheers:

TFS
Steve :wave:

Steve Canuel
10-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the comments Steve, glad you liked it. I usually throw up a ROT grid to take a look at images but didn't on this one. Given the respect I have for the abilities of the two previous posters and their comments about a different crop, maybe I'll give this one another look :bg3:.

Steve Kaluski
10-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Steve, IMHO comments are there to be distilled from, however if you have posted the image as per your thoughts then there must have been a GOOD reason, we, as observers can only make suggestions. :S3:

I usually throw up a ROT grid
That's the beauty of CS5, although I do find the eye and gut feeling can often be far better. :bg3:

Mark Wiseman
10-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Hi Steve,
I like the posted image, especially the snow on the grasses and the POV. Good detail in the eye.
A crop may or may not be necessary, but I would take that as a thought only when processing your next image as you will no doubt apply all the suggestions made.
Thanks for sharing,
Mark.

Brendan Dozier
10-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Beautiful capture, Steve, nice pose and horns. Excellent IQ, like the subtle color and frosted grass & trees is a great touch. Nice work!

Marc Mol
10-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Happy with the crop here, wonderful fall colour in both FG & BG Steve, a fine specimen.
TFS

Rachel Hollander
10-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Steve - this is great. It has it all - IQ, detail, color, pose. Well done.:5

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Canuel
10-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Steve, IMHO comments are there to be distilled from, however if you have posted the image as per your thoughts then there must have been a GOOD reason, we, as observers can only make suggestions. :S3:

Agree completely. Do like to hear the input from others. We do occasionally get good ideas from each other :bg3:.

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.

Pieter de Waal
10-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Hi Steve , Nice image beautifully exposed with the ideal pose for displaying that rack. Like the textures of the frosted grass and stag's coat. I am enjoying the Stag images being presented here, an animal not in our domain, but it does look pretty cold out there and light conditions don't seem to be ideal judging by the SS.

Sid Garige
10-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Dandy buck Steve.
Excellent composition and brilliant pose.

DanWalters
10-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Like the little bit of snow on the ground. Like the cool color, gives the feeling of cold.

Harshad Barve
10-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Steve

This is amazing image man , one of top three for this species on this board, Big congrats
TFS