PDA

View Full Version : Immature Tricolored Herons

Cheryl Slechta
10-09-2011, 11:44 AM
This was taken at the St. Augustine Alligator Farm. I used Nik Color Indian Summer to change the foliage to copper, then Topaz Black & White Toned Red 1 with a Quad toning and a slight transparency and a vignette.

Thanks for looking. Comments and suggestions appreciated.:S3:

denise ippolito
10-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Cheryl, I like your processing very much. The color toning is pleasing and I like the vignette. Poses and image design are lovely. Maybe just a bit tight on the bottom and I would evict the speckled area under the bill of the right bird if it were mine. I really like this fine piece of artwork!:S3:

Cheryl Slechta
10-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks, Denise:S3:

Christopher Miller
10-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Cheryl, when I saw the thumbnail for this, my first thought was "Audubonesque." Very lovely image design, and I love the vintage color toning and vignette. It really looks like it could be an old bird painting. I agree with Denise that it looks a little tight on the bottom. Very well done! :S3:

Arthur Morris
10-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Looks like a fine watercolor by a skilled artist. Love the effect. Knowing these birds well I would like to see the reddish brown in the plumage restored a bit. Ditto Lady D on the need for a bit more room (esp. below).

Mitch Carucci
10-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Great processing. As others have said, reminds one of an Audubon print. Love it!

Nancy Bell
10-10-2011, 04:34 PM
I like the minimalist look but would also like a bit more color to the herons. Great compostion with curved necks, long pointed bills and the airy framing foliage. Well seen and processed!

Cheryl Slechta
10-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Christopher, Artie, Mitch and Nancy - thank you for your comments. I went back and looked at my workflow and the speckled area was due to a Fuji Neopan Presto film grain that I used in Topaz B&W as well as paper toning. I'll try to rework it with more of the heron's rusty colors showing through.:S3:

Arthur Morris
10-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks for being open to our suggestions; I look forward to seeing the repost. :S3:

Andrew McLachlan
10-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Hi Cheryl, love the poses of the two birds. Good suggestions already given, look forward to the repost!:S3: