PDA

View Full Version : Cool orange flower

Brendan Dozier
10-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Taken at local estuary in shade, liked the color and interesting inner details. Need to ID this one as well! Cleaned up a few spots, some darkening of areas in BG.

7D, EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, tripod
1/40
ISO 400

Grahame Hamblin
10-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Hi Brendon thanks for the comments on my flower I think this is of the same type even the leaves are the same Nasturtium (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/90234-nasturtium-2)

Brendan Dozier
10-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks, Grahame, I thought it did have some similarities but was not sure. Looking in google images, it is definitely Nasturtium.

Steve Maxson
10-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Hi Brendan. Beautiful colors, excellent sharpness and detail within your DOF, and I like the off-center comp that works well with the flower tilting slightly to the left. The flower almost jumps out at you! If anything, I would wish for just a little more DOF such that the cool dark lines leading down to the center of the flower were sharper. You might try some additional selective sharpening in that area to see if it helps. Overall, this is very well done!

Paul Lagasi
10-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Hey Brendan, cool looking flower, lovely details and sharpness, good advice above..well done

Ron Sprunger
10-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Definitely nasturtium, and beautifully done. Love the details and saturation, with the identifiable leaves in BG.

Julie Kenward
10-11-2011, 07:01 PM
What a beauty, Brendan! I find the blue tones in the BG a little bit powerful - you might move the greens a little bit further to the yellow side of the hue and see what you think. Very nice composition and you did an excellent job of keeping the orange/red tones from bleeding all over the place - they seem to be perfectly saturated.

Brendan Dozier
10-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Thanks very much, Steve, Paul, Ron & Jules. Here's a repost with some selective sharpening suggested by Steve, and some more blue removal suggested by Jules.

Jules, I did remove some blue for the OP (I thought all of it) but I see there was a bit more in there. Doesn't look like much of a change, though.
I think because this was shot in shade & against dark green the saturation came out well with the orange. I'm surprised, as I did not do any saturation adjustments with the orange. Wonder why cameras usually have a hard time with managing bright orange & reds?

Ron Sprunger
10-12-2011, 12:40 PM
I put the OP and RP on two tabs and blinked back and forth for a while. Can't see any difference at all (on a poor monitor) in color, but the sharpening helps. Nasturtium leaves are naturally fairly blue and fairly saturated. This image has a shady, cool look to it. If you want to warm it a little, I'd try going back to RAW and bumping up the white balance a couple hundred points, and/or adjusting the yellow/blue slider in color balance a little to the left (yellow).

But really, the color rendition and saturation look really good to me right now. Warming it might be "truer" to what you saw, but it's not necessarily better. It will just give a different feel. I personally like what you have.

Brendan Dozier
10-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Thanks Ron, good info. Overall, I'm fine with it too.

Ken Childs
10-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Brendan, this flower really jumps off the screen.....there's a cool 3D effect going on here! The comp looks good and your camera did a great job with the color of the flower. The color in the BG looks closer to cyan.....a selective color adjustment reducing the cyan in the cyans should do the trick. Well done! :S3: