10-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Nikon D3S 1/1000 F8 ISO 200

Harshad Barve
10-08-2011, 08:24 AM
very nicely done indeed
TFS

Steve Kaluski
10-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Hi Peter, these two look more like sculptures than actual 'living' animals.

These Etosha Elephants seem to dwarf everything and that dusty covering certainly gives them a ghostly appearance IMHO. The heat haze also gives a nice softness to the BKG and I know your style is also minimal sharpness so no need to visit that. Just wonder if dropping the yellow & upping the blue a tad for the sky might help, although I know you have mentioned about the air & colour before with this particular location. You and your square crop, kind of works though. :bg3:

Nice to see you back posting again, hope all is well.

TFS
Steve

Dumay de Boulle
10-09-2011, 01:39 AM
Love the colors the soil gives these Ellie's in Etosha (I assume its Etosha) Very much your signature colors and style....For me the IQ is lacking somewhat, is the texture achieved created from the heat rising off the ground? Nice to see the size difference between the two but I dont think the Zebra adds anything to the image! I would also change the crop taking some off the top and bottom.

Ofer Levy
10-09-2011, 02:11 AM
I would love to hear why you think this comment you've recently sent to another member doesn't apply in this image. Please let us all know what is "out of the box" about this image and how it differs from any other "forum type" photography.
"just some advice ,take it or leave it... but if you really want to succeed / improve your photography , try and think a little more of the box ... this kind of image has been done a lot.. not trying to rain on your parade but its easy to fall in to as I call it "forum type" photography and receive lots of "Wows" which is nice and can be encouraging but when entering competitions or submitting to editors they will be look for something more interesting...."

Cheers mate,
Ofer :w3

Ken Watkins
10-09-2011, 04:05 AM
Peter,

I have to say that I do not really get this, the colours are realy bizarre, even given the strange light you sometimes get there (Sorry)

peter delaney
10-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone... appreciated...

Hi Steve, good to be back.. ''these two look more like sculptures than actual 'living' animals.'' thanks Steve thats what I was trying to portray...
... agree with your suggestion about upping blue etc.. so will do that thanks again.. will drop you a pm soon about what I have been up too!

Hi Dumay
''Very much your signature colors and style.'' thanks Dumay its really nice when someone says that.. sorry I should have put more info on image.. but forgot.. yes its Etosha.. agree about the apparent lack of IQ.. looks really good printed up to A1 .... the heat haze ,dust, smoke from a fire and the distance were all contributing factors...

Hi Ken

no need to apologize ....Art is very subjective... and as I put in a post recently... ''I am not in the photocopying business''..This is my take/vision of a particular scene...

Nice having you back posting:S3:

thanks again all for comments always appreciated!

Morkel Erasmus
10-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Nice to have you posting again, Peter...and as I know you the absence must mean some new images coming our way :w3.
I like the portrayal here...though I agree it lacks the standard if IQ we have become used to from you...perhaps just the sharpening on the ellie? :e3

Just thinking out loud here: I think compositionally I would have preferred it if the zebra had been to the left of the elephant (then again it would have been more 'conventional' that way)?

Ofer Levy
10-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Hi Peter, I think you have probably missed my comment...here it is again:
I would love to hear why you think this comment you've recently sent to another member doesn't apply in this image. Please let us all know what is "out of the box" about this image and how it differs from any other "forum type" photography.
"just some advice ,take it or leave it... but if you really want to succeed / improve your photography , try and think a little more of the box ... this kind of image has been done a lot.. not trying to rain on your parade but its easy to fall in to as I call it "forum type" photography and receive lots of "Wows" which is nice and can be encouraging but when entering competitions or submitting to editors they will be look for something more interesting...."

Cheers mate,
Ofer :w3

Rachel Hollander
10-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Hi Peter - I've looked at this one a few times and am on the fence about it. I like the texture in the ellie and the size juxtaposition of the two but I think the atmospheric conditions have wreaked a little too much havoc especially in terms of sharpness. :eek3:

TFS,
Rachel

peter delaney
10-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Hi Morkel...

I had a great time away... will be posting a few images as soon I get a chance to go thru them..

agree about the sharpening.. will apply a different strength to tiff ...

Hi Ofer.. as you stated it was a comment made to another member , he had no issue with my comment.. and has taken it in the spirit in which was given. And congratulations on your Aus/NZ nature award :S3:

Hi Hilary

No problem about sitting on the fence..appreciate the time and comments.....agree about the atmospheric wreaking havoc on the overall IQ .. I will revisit the file again soon and try improve my workflow to get a better result...

thanks again everybody

Morkel Erasmus
10-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Looking forward! Where did you gallivant off to?? :S3:

Ofer Levy
10-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Hi Ofer.. as you stated it was a comment made to another member , he had no issue with my comment.. and has taken it in the spirit in which was given.

Hi Peter, since this is a critique forum and we usually take each others comments seriously - I would expect people to put their money where their mouth is...:w3