PDA

View Full Version : How would you crop this?

gail bisson
10-06-2011, 10:31 AM
I got this shot a couple of weeks ago as this eagle hovered in the wind. I had my f4 500mm and no time to move back. The shot has had no processing yet as I try to decide if it is a keeper or a delete. Your opinions are requested with thanks,
Gail

gail bisson
10-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Here is what I have tried-I did some NR in the BG and adjusted shadow under the wing
I hope it is OK to do a double post like this,
Gail

Jeff Cashdollar
10-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Hi Gail,

Please include exposure information to get a sense for the technical aspects of the image. How much NR was applied seems a tad noisy, it could be me. Anyway I like the picture, interesting and attractive crop. I would sharpen the white feathers and the entire head area. Great eye, original look and a handsome serious looking pose. You offer a unique perspective and a different Eagle picture - I like it!

Kerry Perkins
10-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Gail, a really nice capture but it left you with some difficult choices. Two problems are the cut off talons and the blown whites on the tail, which make cropping almost necessary. I would try to reclaim some detail in the tail area and reconstruct the feet if possible, adding canvas to the bottom. A really nice image that would be stronger at just a tad more distance, allowing the feet to be shown. I like the better detail in the blacks of the repost, but I miss seeing the far wing and the legs.

gail bisson
10-07-2011, 05:12 AM
Sorry guys re; shooting techs. Here they are:
ISO 640 SS 1/1600
Manual mode
F 5.6
Manual
Tripod
Canon 7D
F 4.0 500mm

Thanks for the feedback. If only I hadn't cut off the talons I would not be looking at a crop to salvage the picture!! In the repost I haven't done any sharpening as I was being lazy and trying to decide if a crop would make the picture worth keeping. I will do proper PP on the image and post,
Gail

Ian McHenry
10-07-2011, 05:47 AM
Hi Gail To me the raptor's bill & talons are the significant character points. So here is my take. Cheers: Ian Mc