PDA

View Full Version : Protecting telephoto lens from scratches – advice please?

Ofer Levy
10-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Hi all,
I am about to receive my Canon 800 f5.6. It is in mint condition - no scratches or wear. I am not very good at keeping the body of my lenses scratches free but determined to at least try this time....:e3
I have already ordered the lens coat and another cover to use when the lens is in the bag. Does anybody know of another/better way to keep the lens clean and scratches free? (don't tell me to keep it in the cupboard....:bg3:)

Thanks,
Ofer

Daniel Cadieux
10-11-2011, 11:58 AM
I was going to suggest the Lens Coat, but you've already ordered it. Apart from being careful I'm not sure of any better way really. I'm super careful and I have a couple of minor nicks on my lens' paint...it's pretty unavoidable in our hobby without physical protection, of which the lens coat is probably best (and which I don't have). If you don't plan on reselling it I wouldn't worry about a few battle scars on it...although I'd probably change my mind with such expensive gear as the 800mm!!

P.S. Congrats on the new purchase...can't wait to see some images once you've had it!!:S3:

Doug Brown
10-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Other than a Lens Coat, I don't do anything special to prevent scratches. It's the optics that I care about, and I take very good care of the glass itself. Scratches are the inevitable by-product of using your lens in the field. Look forward to seeing images produced with your new purchase!