PDA

View Full Version : Openango Marsh Algonquin Provincial Park ON Canada

Ed Cordes
10-05-2011, 07:01 PM
This is a small part of the Costello stream/river which the Openango Road follows in Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario Canada. We spent a lot of time here waiting to get moose and beaver images. Sometimes successful!

The image is a 6 frame HDR processed in Photomatix. 1D4 with 17-40 @ 17 full frame.

Andrew McLachlan
10-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Hi Ed, I know this spot well, but have never seen a single moose at this location, although it is one of the better spots to find them in the park. It is also a good spot for Otters. Nice work with the HDR. The clouds look great. I find the rocks and grasses in the foreground a touch distracting, but they need to be there to get the wonderful tree reflections. I think this scene would also work well as a panorama...did you shoot any additional comps at this location? For your records the correct spelling is Opeongo. Nicely done!

Ed Cordes
10-06-2011, 06:06 AM
Thanks Andrew. Sorry about the spelling!!! This is something I am terrible at. This year there were only a few moose at the culvert. Mostly coming in form the west. Last year several encounters of moose coming down the hill on the left of this scene. Your pano suggestion is a good one. I will try it. Maybe we will see each other in the park?

Robert Amoruso
10-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Ed,

I too feel the HDR treatment worked out well here. I find the right side cramped and would have preferred for more room on top (due to closeness of tree top) and right (large rock clipped at edge).

I find the stuff in the FG distracting too as it draws my eye away from the more visually pleasing middle ground and BG.

Jerry van Dijk
10-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Very nice image, Ed. HDR works great here. I would have included the second tree on the right. It is there in the reflection, but the "orignal" now seems missing. For this frame, I would clone out the parts of the tree that are now peeping in from the edge of the frame. Also agree about a little more room on top.

Jay Gould
10-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Ed, while I agree with all of the comments, I think it might present better in a larger format. Did you push it to 1024 on the width?

Rachel Hollander
10-10-2011, 08:34 AM
Ed - nice HDR treatment and I like the placement of the large rock. I agree about the fg drawing the eye. I also would prefer a little more on the right. I find myself looking for the additional tree that is in the reflection but not in the scene.

TFS,
Rachel