10-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Canon 7D
f4 500mm
ISO 800
F 5.6
SS 1/1250
Crop by 30%
Lots of NR in CS5 and usual stuff in LR3
I did not selectively sharpen the heron because I wanted to keep everything soft. Does this work?
Also not sure about water line. Should I do some CCW but then gold line gets wonky. Please advise
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks
If this belongs in landscapes then mods please feel free to move it,
Gail

Arthur Morris
10-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Love the mood, the light, and especially the image design. I am not sure about the strip of water but I think that I would keep it. Or make two versions. A bit of sharpening on the bird only would be fine. Love, love, love the grasses.

On a related note, is this the only bird in Nova Scotia???

gail bisson
10-05-2011, 07:15 PM
On a related note, is this the only bird in Nova Scotia???[/QUOTE]

ROFL:bg3::bg3:. I promise, this is the last GBH for a while!!
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
10-05-2011, 08:06 PM
This is a beautiful "bird in habitat" image...definitely belongs here in Avian. I like the image as is, including the waterline. There is some weird pixelation around the very perimeter of the heron...are you having difficulty resizing the image to fit within the guidelines?

P.S. I am sure there is more than just one GBH in Nova Scotia:bg3:

Randy Stout
10-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Gail:

This is a lovely habitat shot, soft colors, grasses are really nice.

I am curious why the need for "lots" of NR at this ISO? Was it significantly underexposed originally and brought up in post?

I don't think Artie meant was this the only GBH, but rather, is it the only species of birds in Nova Scotia?

Don't feel bad. Most of my summertime images are loons, and people wonder the same thing about Michigan (only one species!)

Cheers

Randy

gail bisson
10-06-2011, 04:32 AM
Hi Randy,
The image was taken at ISO of 800 with a dark BG with a 7D. The day was dark and cloudy and my histogram was OK ie. nothing hitting the left hand side of graph. I think I was at +2/3 or +1 EV. I should have been at + 1 2/3. Anyway, the 7d has lots of noise with these techs so that is why I said I did lots of NR. I did 2 passes on the purple green area.
I think that may be why Daniel sees some weird stuff around the heron??
Gail

Stu Bowie
10-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Hi Gail, this definately belongs here - lovely surroundings for the heron. I like the layered BG, sort of a 3D effect with the heron, grass, and then distant BG. Lovely colours throughout. Well captured.

Karl Egressy
10-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Great habitat shot with bird, Gail.
I like it and most people would lave to hang it on their wall I'm pretty sure.
I still see some noise in the golden grass but the background looks smooth and noiseless.

Emily Norman
10-06-2011, 02:26 PM
One of my favorites of yours Gail, I am a big fan of seeing the environment and one as gorgeous as this can't be beat. I like the composition as is and would not cut out the strip of water. Beautiful work!

Robert Holguin
10-07-2011, 10:25 AM
This is a beautiful image. Love the golden grass and the background. Great composition and I really like the placement of the heron. Well done.