PDA

View Full Version : Pt Roberts Dunlin

Jamie Douglas
10-05-2011, 12:41 AM
Curiosity got the better of me today and I ventured across the border to visit Point Roberts. Not much there but I did enjoy the abundance of shore birds.

While I was packing up late afternoon, two Dunlin turned up right beside me and didnt appear timid so I got down on my belly on the sand and wet seaweed to take advantage of the opportunity.

I think it looks a wee bit drab presented as is so I would welcome some comments as to how i can improve it.

Techs: Canon 7D, 400MM F5.6 @5.6, 1/400, ISO800.

Thanks

Jamie

Ron Sprunger
10-05-2011, 01:01 AM
I love Dunlins, and this is a nice one. Looks to me as if the focus is just a tad forward of the eye. Beak is sharp, but back of head is soft -- might be helped with a little selective sharpening there. You might consider removing the white spot on bill. As for lack of sparkle, I wonder whether your color temp was a bit cool on this. You might try warming a bit, and adding a modest s-curve. I'd probably protect the background from added contrast though. I love the personal feel to this image.

Mital Patel
10-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Jamie,

This is beautiful upclose capture. I will add some USM to the bird and try to tone down the bg uneven patches. Especially the big bright vegetation just on left of the leg.

Jamie Douglas
10-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Thanks guys. I ran some selective sharpening on the head and removed the spot of sand on the bill. Also warmed it up a little by adjusting the blue in curve adjustment. I need to go back and look at the RAW files. I must have got blasted by the wind when this was taken resulting in it being soft.