PDA

View Full Version : The MIGHTY ' YAWN'

RakeshDhareshwar
10-05-2011, 12:27 AM
More people are killed in Africa by the Hippo , than by any other creature . When the boatman kept his engine running even when we insisted him to kill the engine , I could understand the sense of fear . Amazingly one of the bigger males did charge us , even when we were not so near to them .

Camera : Canon 1D Mk III
Lens : Canon 600mm f4 IS
Aperture : f8
Shutters : 1/2000
Speed : ISO 200

Cheers,
Rakesh

Mark Wiseman
10-05-2011, 01:00 AM
Hi Rakesh,
I like the detail, composition and the wonderful background that helps to isolate your subject. It is a pity the back of the one hippo is visible, but that is the nature of the hippo group.
I like the low angle you obtained, it always adds to a potrait.
The light seems to be quite harsh, otherwise well done.
TFS, Mark
:bg3::5

DanWalters
10-05-2011, 05:15 AM
Very dramatic. Really like the open mouth and the white in the eye.

Hilary Hann
10-05-2011, 05:57 AM
Would agree with previous comments … good capture all round. That wild eye does it for me, having had a good friend's father killed by a hippo, always sends shivers up my spine.

Steve Kaluski
10-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Hi Rakesh, great detail overall, love the open mouth and as stated earlier, the eye really makes contact with the reader.

I just thought adding a little in Curves and tweaking the colour just brings a bit more out of the image. Looks like a dust bunny RHS just above the second back close to the edge.

TFS
Steve

RakeshDhareshwar
10-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Woah , Steve , You have made the Hippo POP !!! :w3

Steve Kaluski
10-05-2011, 08:25 AM
Ah, but is it in the right direction Rakesh?

Adding a little more contrast in Curves and adjusting the colour I feel just bring out more within the actual images, it's all there just need a little nudge. As you were there you will have a better idea on colour, but hopefully it might steer you in the right direction.

Good luck, great post. :S3:

Steve

Rachel Hollander
10-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Great pov and open mouth pose with incredible detail. Steve's repost has certainly given it that pop.

TFS,
Rachel

Mark Wiseman
10-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Hi Rakesh,
steve's repost has given your image a big boost and the detail in the hippo's eye really takes your attention away from the back of the other hippo.
TFS, Mark

Morkel Erasmus
10-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Steve, you sure have a way with hippo images :w3.

Nice one Rakesh - Steve's repost made it pop nicely. Love the open mouth and details. Where was this taken?

RakeshDhareshwar
10-09-2011, 11:31 PM
Steve, you sure have a way with hippo images :w3.

Nice one Rakesh - Steve's repost made it pop nicely. Love the open mouth and details. Where was this taken?

Morkel , This was taken on a boat ride on Lake Naivasha .