PDA

View Full Version : The Under Taker

Gus Cobos
04-02-2008, 10:32 PM
This gloomy fellow was last seen at Anhinga Trail waiting for his next victum. He was captured with a Nikon D70s using a Nikkor 300mm f/4D and a 1.4 T/C
focal length @ 420mm / exposure mode @ manual / matrix metering / 1/250sec - f/6.3
exposure comp @ +0.7 EV / ISO @ 400 / WB @ auto / AF mode @ AF-C / color mode sRGB / hue adjustment @ 0 / saturation factor @ 0 / no tripod / no flash

Comments greatly appreciated...

Harold Davis
04-03-2008, 04:54 AM
proper title!!:D this is a case where i think flash fill could have helped you out. the dark area is particularly noisy, as dark areas normally are. if you had used flash, it would have helped even out that area a bit. is the noise on the bird coming from sharpening or is it just a bit underexposed? like the way you framed it. man those guys aint pretty are they!!:D

Gus Cobos
04-03-2008, 06:44 AM
Hey Harold,
I think you are right, fill flash would have eliminated the shadow cast from the sun...:confused:
Will keep that in mind for my next gloomy fellow...:eek:

Alfred Forns
04-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Hi Gus Some great points by Harold !!!

The first thing I would do is line up a good sun angle You can move around with those birds with no problem Flash would be nice but with the proper light angle you don't needed Also keep in mind the flash will alter the light temp You might loose some of the warmth

Framing wise I would try something different Too much dark feathers with no detail for the small head in frame Would go for a tighter crop of the head in camera. Remember also to have more room on the side the bird is looking to !! .... I do like the sweet looked captured Not easy for these guys !!!

Robert O'Toole
04-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Like the vertical framing and always like Vulture images, I think they are so interesting.

Agree with Alfred's points.

Robert

Julie Kenward
04-03-2008, 11:25 AM
I agree with what the others said but gosh, I love the definition of that head! Why not try a close crop of just the head and see what you think?

Nonda Surratt
04-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Super on the BV's head agree with trying a crop to that.

William Malacarne
04-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Gus

I like this one a lot....looks like you made a silk purse out of a sows ear....:)

Bill M

Jim Poor
04-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Interesting pose.

The patterns in the image disturb me though. It almost looks like ink-jet printing on plain copy paper when the heads aren't aligned. There are definite horizontal bands. I'm not sure if there is a 'pattern' to sensor noise once it reaches a certain level or not.

Oscar Zangroniz
04-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Grat Definition on the head Gus. Very nice. Like it a lot.
Regards,