PDA

View Full Version : Short-billed dowitchers

Cheryl Slechta
10-04-2011, 06:07 PM
This shorebird was ID'd by Artie from a different post in OOTB ( a single bird). This was also taken at Anna Maria Island in Florida. Slight NR on bg and USM.
After previewing the post, I think I could take some off the top?

Canon 7D, 100-400L IS, f/8, 1/500sec., ISO 640.

Thanks for looking. Comments and suggestions appreciated.:S3:

Jeff Cashdollar
10-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Cheryl,

I saw this picture last night and thought about it today. There is something about it I like and not sure about. Guess I am torn but let me give my feedback and hear from others. I like the two birds, the second OOF does not bother me wish they were not touching. The two backgrounds, both water and shore line seem to create a division for me. The shore line has some bright spots as well. The composition and placement are the main issue here and not sure how to improve. I agree with you, some off the top might help. Regarding DoF, how was the light, I noticed you used f/8. Was there enough light for a smaller aperture and bring second subject in focus or a larger aperture and blur background, the later might be the other option here. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to input from others.

Great moment in nature and thanks for sharing.

allanrube
10-05-2011, 05:20 PM
After posting the picture you talk about Cheryl, I can now say *for sure* they are short-billed dowitchers. :S3:

Kerry Perkins
10-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Cheryl, I really like the first bird - nice and sharp with lovely exposure. The second bird doesn't do it for me though, as Jeff mentions would be nice to have some space between them and the focus is in between too much and not enough. That bird also has very hot highlights that are stronger than those on the bird in the foreground. The water line going through the center also tends to fragment the scene. Hope you get a chance to make more captures, maybe with better bg opportunities! :c3:

gail bisson
10-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Cheryl,
I like your composition. I like the foraging pose and the water trailing from the beak. I am troubled by the OOF bird and how close he is to the "in focus" bird. I would do a fair CW rotation the get the water line more level as well.
Gail

Cheryl Slechta
10-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Jeff, Kerry and Gail - thanks for your comments - sorry I'm so late to respond. Without going to the drastic step of moving the second bird, I tried to improve the image by a crop and CW rotation. I also used a graduated density filter to alter the color in the top portion and a gaussian blur on the 2nd bird with a decreased saturation to de-emphasize him. Of course, it would have been easier to have taken care of this while I was actually taking the photo:2eyes2: Jeff, the sun was setting so I should have changed my aperature which would have given me less focus on the back dowitcher.