PDA

View Full Version : Etosha Pan

Andrew Aveley
10-04-2011, 03:25 PM
A unique POw of the great Etosha Pan earlier this year . After heavy rains in its catchment area , this huge natural depression was brimming with water .........visible for miles and covering nearly 85% of the pan at the time I captured this image in Early June this year. There was many other instances of natural ground water filling places where game could drink beyond the reach of any cameras:)

Canon 5d MK 2 , 24-105 F4 lens @ 28 mm , F 11 , ISO 400 and 1/400th , CPL , Tripod and Remote trigger

Jay Sheinfield
10-04-2011, 07:38 PM
I like the image design. If it were mine I would make the sky a bit more subdued. Very interesting nonetheless.

Rachel Hollander
10-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Andrew - I like the simplicity of this and the colors are very pleasing. Reflection works well. Nicely envisioned and captured.

TFS,
Rachel

Ron Sprunger
10-05-2011, 10:18 AM
I think it's wonderful. Don't know about toning down the sky -- it's quite dramatic as is. I think it would work well without human presence as well; very simple and elegant.

Ed Cordes
10-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Very intriguing image. Looks like a long way to swim! While the colors are a bit over the top they work well for this graphic image.

Robert Amoruso
10-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Overall I like this but am bothered with the horizon line dissecting the neck. Perhaps if you had knelled down, the human presence would have been in more harmony with the BG/FG.

Andrew Aveley
10-06-2011, 01:17 AM
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions !

Morkel Erasmus
10-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Nice one Andrew! Must've been cool to see the normally dry pan like this :eek3:.
I agree with Robert on the bisecting line being less-than-ideal...but not a deal-breaker for me :bg3:
Colours rock.

Jerry van Dijk
10-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Hey Andrew, wonderful execution of a great idea! I actually like the human presence breaking the horizon. I t adds interest to the image. It would have been better to have lowered the camera a bit, so that your shoulders would have broken the horizon instead of you being beheaded by it :S3:. I too would back off a little on the blue of the sky.

Hilary Hann
10-12-2011, 03:31 AM
Andrew, this comp drew my eye as a thumbnail and reminded me of the 'Salt' series which you can see stills of here http://saltdoco.com/movie-info/stills.htm#0

It may give you some inspiration if you ever get a unique chance like this at Etosha again. Worth spending time trying different things and one would have to imagine that they would be quite marketable.

(http://saltdoco.com/movie-info/stills.htm#0)

Andrew Aveley
10-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks all ! Hilary , awesome link thank you.......it would be really awesome to try but access to the pan is impossible at night due to camp gate times.......:eek3:

I do have another idea in mind and this has added even more 'fuel to the fire ' !

Hilary Hann
10-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Andrew, I do look forward to seeing anything you come up with although I only drop into Landscape from time to time so hopefully won't miss any postings.