Jay Sheinfield
10-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Nikon D7000
70mm
1/250 sec @ f/14

Comments welcome.................

Rachel Hollander
10-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Jay - nice use of the vertical comp and the branch in the fg. I like the fog too. I might consider cropping out the sky from the top. For me, the colors of the reflected sky are much more pleasing than the actual sky which is brighter and slightly distracting. As I scrolled, I thought the image was stronger without the sky.

TFS,
Rachel

Jay Sheinfield
10-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Jay - nice use of the vertical comp and the branch in the fg. I like the fog too. I might consider cropping out the sky from the top. For me, the colors of the reflected sky are much more pleasing than the actual sky which is brighter and slightly distracting. As I scrolled, I thought the image was stronger without the sky.

TFS,
Rachel

Hi Rachel, I figured this image might not be working, judging from the number viewers with no comments. Thank you for stepping up to the plate. Your feedback is great. I don't post here too often, so sometimes I post an image I'm unsure of just to learn a bit more. I will try the crop you suggested........it makes sense. thank you.

Ron Sprunger
10-05-2011, 10:14 AM
This is an image that makes me admit how inadequate I am as a shooter. I agree that the color of the sky is distracting, and a 3:4 crop without sky would be better. Not sure but what the sky could stay if the color were softened -- maybe shift the cyan to soft blue, or desaturate. Still kind of iffy, IMO. It's a delightful image.

Jay Sheinfield
10-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Hi Ron, Thank you for the kind words, and the feedback.......I have been fooling around with saturation and tonal variations of the sky........you have encouraged me to continue trying. I'd like to avoid the crop, but maybe not.:S3:

Robert Amoruso
10-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Jay,

You are on the right track - good choice for vertical, branch in colorful water, fog for mood.

I feel though it is just not coming together. I find it a bit stagnant with the branch in the lower center. The branch itself is not a strong element to anchor the FG. I agree the sky needs work or eliminate it (my choice).

Jay Sheinfield
10-06-2011, 03:50 AM
Jay,

You are on the right track - good choice for vertical, branch in colorful water, fog for mood.

I feel though it is just not coming together. I find it a bit stagnant with the branch in the lower center. The branch itself is not a strong element to anchor the FG. I agree the sky needs work or eliminate it (my choice).

Robert, Thanks for the feedback.............trying new things. This one just doesn't seem to want to work.:S3:

Robert Amoruso
10-06-2011, 06:30 AM
That is what it is all about Jay. Keep at it. :tinysmile_shy_t:

Jay Gould
10-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Another vote to eliminate the sky and cut the black in half!!

Jerry van Dijk
10-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Hi Jay, the branch would have worked as a compositional element if you would have been able to put more focus on it (it's now a bit lost in the frame). I would also crop out the sky. Alternatively, you could apply a gradual filter in ACR, reducing exposure, increasing clarity and adding dark blue. I've been experimenting with this on some of my landscape images with very bright skies, and it adds detail and a little color. Don't overdo it, though. This might just be the trick to get the sky to look like the reflection.

Andrew Aveley
10-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Creating more compact landscapes is always fun. Also the more emphasis on the colour in bottom does help. Images like this work with a stronger foreground subject like a log or stump

Below is my repost :0

Jay Gould
10-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Well done Andrew!!

Jay Sheinfield
10-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Andrew, I appreciate you taking the time to do the RP..looks good.