PDA

View Full Version : The "Boss"

Pieter de Waal
10-03-2011, 02:52 PM

Taken in Hluhluwe Game Reserve recently. The colour version did'nt have the impact I was hoping for so I have tried a version in B&W. Had to do a bit of Dodge and Burn on the BG and removed a bright grass stalk behind the Baboon.

EOS30D EF100-400 @135mm 1/80 @f5.6 iso500 FF not cropped.

C&C allways welcome.

Steve Kaluski
10-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Hi Pieter, will comment later but would like Peter D to comment too, as he has an eye for B&W and my initial thoughts, this looks good.

Steve

Harshad Barve
10-03-2011, 11:13 PM
my initial thoughts, this looks good.

Steve

Plus one here
TFS

peter delaney
10-03-2011, 11:54 PM
Hi Pieter

Really good conversion....good tonal range...texture... you have some enough detail in the shadow areas..and..some blocked black areas which I always like to have in my black and whites...

my eye s are drawn to the eye and the bridge of the nose initially ..which seems sharp enough but cant really tell at this size... if you want to play around with that area would suggest burning the darker areas around 10% ..and dodge the lighter areas about 5% ... just to create a little more contrast there..and emphasize the light falling there..

would also suggest a little whitening/dodging of the teeth ..

not sure if the slight movement adds / detracts from image at the moment.. will come back and view again....

but overall really like what you have done .. a few tweaks and it will pop nicely ..

peter

Dumay de Boulle
10-04-2011, 05:53 AM
WOW!! Look at that canine..No wonder they can be so dangerous. Very nice conversion

Steve Kaluski
10-04-2011, 06:27 AM
Hi Pieter, Peter has as always made a some very good suggestions and as he is probably one who knows more about B/W I would trust his judgement and if in doubt and providing he has waded through his recent images I am sure he would be happy to help shed more light if required, although I know he is a rather busy bunny at present, well certainly for the next few weeks, but probably could squeeze a PM back. :w3

Peter appreciate your input here, thanks, likewise Pieter I am sure.:cheers:

Big congrats on this one, especially on the conversion to B/W.

TFS
Steve :wave:

DanWalters
10-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Nice detail and I really like those teeth!

Rachel Hollander
10-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Pieter - I like the b&w for this and it is an interesting view and pose. Certainly Peter's suggestions will help improve this already very nice image.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Canuel
10-05-2011, 12:00 AM
Hi Pieter,
Very nicely detailed and textured. An impressive profile. Might try a couple of hits of sharpening on the canines.

Pieter de Waal
10-05-2011, 12:47 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments, much appreciated.

Peter D . Thank you for taking the time I appreciate your advice and will work on the points raised. My apologies for the late response but we were without internet connection at home yesterday and last night and I am responding from work. Steve thanks also for your help.

Steve Kaluski
10-05-2011, 08:22 AM
Hi Pieter good to hear you are back in the land of BPN and the internet. :bg3:

If you are able to implement some of Peters suggestions you will have a real winner on your hands. Good luck and lets us know how you get on.

All the best.
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
10-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Late to this one, Pieter! Wow, a real stunner...

Love the details, texture and sideways portrait with the yawn showing those monstrous canines. :Whoa!:
Peter has made some good suggestions, would love to see you try them...

Pieter de Waal
10-09-2011, 05:22 AM
Hi Morkel,

Thanks for your comments but since my last post we have been without internet connection so I have not been able to respond. Very frustrating. Hope this is not too late but here is a repost with some of Peter D's suggestions as well as additional input from Steve which involved some lightening on the face H&S work around the eyes.