PDA

View Full Version : Aux Sables River

Andrew McLachlan
10-02-2011, 07:17 PM
While I was making the long trek north to Lake Superior Provincial Park a few weeks ago I decided to break up the drive and take a short break at Chutes Provincial Park in Massey, Ontario to shoot some sections of the rapids and waterfalls along the Aux Sables River. The conditions were perfect for such photography - overcast and drizzly. When I got to this section of the river the sky cleared and the light became rather harsh. I experimented and shot a 3 image HDR which was processed in Oloneo Photo Engine.

For this post post I ran the HDR image through B&W effects with pretty much the same treatment as the previous post (detail sliders, simplify and transparency slider to bring back some color). Cropped a little off the bottom to place the large flat rock in the lower right of the frame.

Fall colors are now at peak conditions at many of my favorite locations north of my home. I will be busy over the next few days photographing them, but will try to pop back in during the evening hours prior to heading north for the Thanksgiving weekend to close the cottage for the winter.

Look forward to comments.

Maureen Allen
10-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Beautiful, Andrew. Love the rocks in the foreground and the effect on the water :S3:

Anita Bower
10-03-2011, 06:07 AM
Beautiful composition and light. Love the many textures, especially the rocks.

denise ippolito
10-03-2011, 07:36 AM
Andrew, Very nice composition. You have inspired me to take a look at some waterfalls this year. I like the processing. I might evict the teeny tiny white spot in the URC if it were mine. Nice work.:S3:

John Storjohann
10-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Andrew, that's a really interesting composition...one that's out of the ordinary for most waterfall views, and I like it. The texture and structure of the rocks is fantastic; I wish you had a bit more color to either the color or the rocks just for more separation/depth along the top. You could crop this tighter, almost to a square, and have a great image of the falls....and it would emphasize that "bow" of the rocks in the background...leave it as is and you have just as strong an image...good eye!

Judy Howle
10-03-2011, 06:43 PM
I like the composition and the filter work is very well done!

Andrew McLachlan
10-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments, very much appreciated.

Denise, good eye, I missed that spot. Looks like a little bit of sky showing through the trees. I will evict it.

Jay Sheinfield
10-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Andrew, Very nice. Really like the low perspective and the positioning of the falls in the frame. Good work on the water........looks realistic. Very compelling.