PDA

View Full Version : Blue Heron on the Rocks

Jay Sheinfield
10-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Taken this morning at Lone Elk Wildlife Preserve. Special thanks to my friend John Storjohann, who gave up a less optimal shooting angle rather than disturb the Heron for my shot.:S3: Image processed lightly in PB and Topaz Curly Smooth. Removal of some small highlights in the water. I may have cropped a bit much off the bottom....................what think? BTW, the original is posted in the Avian forum.

Andrew McLachlan
10-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Hi Jay, this is very beautiful. I love everything about it! My only suggestion would be to bring back enough of the bottom that you cropped out, so that the one large rock's reflection is not cut off. My favorite of yours so far! :S3:

Maureen Allen
10-02-2011, 10:10 PM
This is really lovely and peaceful. I think the crop is fine. If it were mine, I might mask the eye to allow it some of the original color.

Jay Sheinfield
10-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Maureen, good catch...........here it is.

Maureen Allen
10-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Looks great Jay. Wish it was one of mine :S3:

denise ippolito
10-03-2011, 07:34 AM
Jay, The pose is nice with the bird looking out into the water. I like the composition and the inclusion of the rock. Andrew makes a goo suggestion but then your image may feel unbalanced needing more room all over. I think that the image could be warmed up unless your intent was to show a cooler version. The BG colors are lovely and look like a texture overlay. Nicely done.

Jay Sheinfield
10-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Thanks everyone. Most kind:S3:

Andrew and Denise, I may have gone too tight on the crop as I was concerned about too much of the birds legs, in the reflection. I would have to go back to start......or canvass add, will consider.

Denise, Good thought on warmth......I'll take a look.

John Storjohann
10-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Dang...I knew I should have wandered around from the back of the Cruiser :t3. Jay this is an impressive shot..I could go either way with the crop, I'd have to see the version with the full reflection to make a choice. Denise makes a nice suggestion about warming up the image just a bit...and I'd be tempted to paint in a bit more Tonal Contrast in the background to emphasize the misty veils of fog. This is one of your better bird images IMHO...that 300 pairs up nice with the 2X!

Kerry Perkins
10-03-2011, 11:54 PM
Hi Jay, you have a really nice image here, I like the repost a lot. Nice use of PB and Topaz Clean. For my eye, I would suggest cropping away the small rock on the right and then working the area to the right of the larger rocks so it is all water. I feel that the bird is too centered and needs to be moved to the right.

Jay Sheinfield
10-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Hi Kerry, Thanks.......

Fortunately I have a few other shots with more canvass or I could go back to the beginning on this one.................There appears to be a number of ways I can take this. I did do the original comp with the Birds eye in the horizontal middle of the frame, which is generally a starting point for this kind of comp, for me....So, I am OK with the horizontal (left to right) placement. If I add to the bottom that will likely require more canvass on the left, and address your concern. As it stands, I am OK with the comp, not saying that Andrews comment wouldn't make it stronger.

Cheryl Slechta
10-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Jay, sorry for the late comment but I like the original post a lot. I like revealing a little more of the eye than the OP but not quite as much as the repost. Everything else is lovely, peaceful and contemplative to me.:S3:

Jay Sheinfield
10-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Jay, sorry for the late comment but I like the original post a lot. I like revealing a little more of the eye than the OP but not quite as much as the repost. Everything else is lovely, peaceful and contemplative to me.:S3:

The eye does kinda jump out at you:S3:. Thanks. I'll tone it down.