PDA

View Full Version : White-rumped Sandpiper juvenile

Bill Dix
10-02-2011, 02:02 PM
In contrast to the worn, molting adult White-rumped that I posted recently, this is a fresh juvenile taken on the same day. 50% crop. Cloned out an oof Least Sandpiper on the left. C&C appreciated.

D7000 | 500f4 + 1.4 TC | ISO 640 | 1/800s @ f/5.6 | +1.7 EV

Jim Crosswell
10-03-2011, 11:02 AM
I like the HA, eye contact and BG. I think the big crop is hurting the IQ and the OOF grass in the FG LRC are distracting.

Kaustubh Deshpande
10-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Bill, very nice. I like such 'in their world' perspectives. Terrific details, shooting, bird and head angles.

Robert Holguin
10-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Real nice shot. Great control on the whites, nice detail, and great head angle. Well done.

Bill Dix
10-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Thanks Jim, Kaustubh and Robert.

Arthur Morris
10-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Bill, What is the date on this one?

Bill Dix
10-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Bill, What is the date on this one?

Artie, this was taken on September 25th at Sandy Hook. Since you asked, maybe you could offer an opinion. This was originally ID'd for me as a White-rumped by one of the naturalists at the Sandy Hook Bird Observatory. But after posting this to BPN, I've had second thoughts, and so has the naturalist in question. I think it is probably a fresh juvenile Semipalm. Sandpiper. What do you think?

Arthur Morris
10-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Artie, this was taken on September 25th at Sandy Hook. Since you asked, maybe you could offer an opinion. This was originally ID'd for me as a White-rumped by one of the naturalists at the Sandy Hook Bird Observatory. But after posting this to BPN, I've had second thoughts, and so has the naturalist in question. I think it is probably a fresh juvenile Semipalm. Sandpiper. What do you think?

Hey Bill, Thanks for shaking me out of my brain funk. The wings and tail are roughly the same length. So it is not a white-rumped or a Baird's. It is not a least, and it is not Wsstern--no rufous edges to the scapulars. It is therefore a Semipalmated Sandpiper--the blob-tipped bill is perfect for that species. It is a worn juvenile. Fresh juvenile birds in mid- to late-August would have much warmer tones and the fringes of the feathers would be un-worn. Juvenile WRSA in late September would always be much brighter with rufous fringed back and scapular feathers with a white V and wings longer then the tail.

Bill Dix
10-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Hey Bill, Thanks for shaking me out of my brain funk. The wings and tail are roughly the same length. So it is not a white-rumped or a Baird's. It is not a least, and it is not Wsstern--no rufous edges to the scapulars. It is therefore a Semipalmated Sandpiper--the blob-tipped bill is perfect for that species. It is a worn juvenile. Fresh juvenile birds in mid- to late-August would have much warmer tones and the fringes of the feathers would be un-worn. Juvenile WRSA in late September would always be much brighter with rufous fringed back and scapular feathers with a white V and wings longer then the tail.

Thank you. I'd better rename the file. Appreciate the prompt feedback.